How do I keep my face from peeling off?

Das Beerd

So newbie question? What do you guys use for sun protection when on snow for multiple days? Every time I do an extended trip (such as Shasta this weekend) I get cooked no matter how much sunblock I use. I just sweat it right off. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullfrog stays on if you put it on while you are dry. Others are the same way - must be applied while skin is dry.

Another common mistake is using old sunscreen. If it is more than two years old, it is probably not up to the task on snow.

I also carry sunscreen wipes to hit those spots that get rubbed - like the nose. Best be is to cover with a bandana like an arab. Also use the nose cover that hangs off the brdge of the glasses.

When all that fails, apply a light dose of vitamin E oil to burned areas.

I have had very good luck with Nutrogena Ultrashear SPF 85. I find that using it twice a day is more effective than anything else I've used, and my former routine was SPF 45 five times a day.

Put it on first thing in the morning when your face is dry. Use a lot, it's OK if you can't rub it all in.

+3 on the bullfrog stuff. That stuff goes on like vaseline, and stays there for the duration.

But, I did recently find out that the stuff my wife has been using works really well, as well. It's made by "coppertone" and it's called "extended coverage, sweat proof, sport stuff. No red shit after three days on the Hoodwand in full sun!!!!!

No sunscreen is going to be as good as sunblock for long-term use in an intensely reflective environment like a glacier in summer.

Sunblocks contain metal, usually zinc or titanium oxide, that physically block the sun's rays and do not break down in the process the way sunscreens do.

You may look like a dork with a big white zinc-oxide covered nose, but it works.

Another vote from a Bullfrog convert...usually in repeated applications. I am also a believer in a brimmed hat and a bandana to cover the neck (if a helmet isn't needed). Don't forget the lips, hands, and inside of the nostrils, ears, and other spots. I use Dermatone lip balm for those sensitive spots. I have also used a white balaclava (doesn't absorb as much heat as black) from Helly Hanson that works well. Zinc oxide (as pointed out by Alpinfox) may look dorky, but so does lobster face and peeling...to say nothing of being more painful.