Axe and tool combination

edsta

Just starting to get into more serious mountaineering, and am trying to figure out the best combination axe and a tool.

I was going to go witha 57cm BD venom axe and a viper hammer. And then when i have more $$ get a viper axe. Would this be a good combo for ski touring and mountaineering. Or am i better to get a set of inbetween tools like the Aztars or dmm flys.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would really help if you defined "serious mountaineering" or give some goals you want to take the tools to. You mentioned ski touring and mountaineering, which would lend me to think you what you mentioned would be adequate (mtneering) or overkill (touring).

If you had alpine ice as a dream or goal, I would say a pair of alpinish ice tools (aztars and other straight bottom, bent top tools) would be good. But people have gotten up alpine ice with 7 foot alpine stocks so I would bet that your mentioned tool setup would be adequate also, especially if your tick list wasn't very big.

Forgive the repeat picture from the thread TarheelEMT mentions, but I have used the combination you mention. I do mostly alpine climbing and not much serious vertical ice. The Venoms work really well and feel very secure for steep snow, alpine ice, and the occassional vertical steps. If you plan on doing technical ice, I'd suggest getting "real" ice tools. But, for the majority of alpine climbs in the Cascades the Venoms or something similar work great!DSC_0390.JPG

I am using a 62cm Petzel Cosmi'tec axe paired with a 50cm Petzel Aztarex hammer for steep alpine ice/snow routes (N ridge Baker/Lib. ridge Rainier).

So far so good... the angle cut "ferrule" on the Aztarex took me some getting used to though. This is a very light weight pairing that climbs great.

Thanks for the advice, i went for a grivel airtech evo 58cm.

Now i'm on the hunt for a technical hammer. Looking at a simond naja or BD viper. I've heard BD picks arn't very good though. Has anyone had any experience with these?

BD picks are fine. My only thing with their picks (and I am probably wrong) is I think they get stuck easier in cold waterice and they break easier than charlet moser and grivel picks. But these are cold winter things and shouldn't be a concern for summer activities. There a tons of BD fans out there so their picks must be good. I would probably pick a BD over a simond tool.

(I used to have the old prophet and old cobra tools which were heavy unlike the modern stuff)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice, i went for a grivel airtech evo 58cm.

Now i'm on the hunt for a technical hammer. Looking at a simond naja or BD viper. I've heard BD picks arn't very good though. Has anyone had any experience with these?

airtech evo :tup: good choice my man!

pair it with a Grivel Matrix Light Hammer and you're solid and not even weighted down!!

both have a good swing are great for plunging and both about 500 grams of no frills climbing bliss