Original WC Friends - Lineage Question?!

Kletterhund

I recently acquired two sets (#1, #2, #3) of vintage Friends and was hoping for some feedback from others with longstanding gear issues...

As I recall the first commercially available sizes were #1, #2, and #3. These units have a machined nut, the slightly off center "FRIEND... PAT PEND... MADE IN ENGLAND" and I do not believe these early units came with a pre-sewn runner.

I didn't get my first Friend until mid 1980, a #1 in fact. It had the pre-sewn runner, a different style of head nut, and much deeper and more legible engraving.

These are in outstanding shape - I plan to keep one set - sell or trade the other set. Hoping to clarify their vintage before inserting the proverbial foot...

Anyone recall the lineage?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earliest commercially available Friends did not have a pre-sewn sling and came in 1/2/3 although 4s came quickly after the first release. They did had a machine nut on the end of the axles. It is a thinner nut than the next gen. which is a smaller, thicker nut and has the "made in England" and Pat stamp and # as well. Earlier cams have straight bottoms and no lightening holes in the #1 and #2. (my original ones from Jardin in Yosemite where not drilled 1/2/3) The early stamp is WILD COUNTRTY in two lines covering the full width of the stem very close to the axels, the "FRIEND" stamp is small and about 1/3 the width of the stem. And a very simple and very small "made in England" is on the reverse side of the stem. The # about 1/2 the width of the stem.

So early gen is a big thin nut, two line WILD COUNTRY. The second gen is a smaller thicker nut and one line WILD COUNTRY. Next gen came with the hex head nut.

Thanks Dane - very helpful info!

These units do appear to be first generation, Wild Country, not the much more elusive Jardine models.

Care to field another vintage gear question I have been pondering?

Forrest Titons - First release of the aluminum sizes were color anodized and later were available only in silver? My color AL sizes were stolen and I was only able to find replacements in silver. Color AL units are pretty scarce?

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers!

I have some Friends that I'm pretty sure I got from Jardine in Yosemite in '78 or '79, trading for ropes he was hanging on the Nose. They say "Wild Country", Friend 2, US Patent...something (hard to read) ... made in england. I have what appears to be an earlier one, size .5 maybe, with no mark. The stem appears to be a different type of metal - it has tarnished differently. Is that the elusive "Jardine model?"

The Friends Jardine and his buddy first sold out of the back of his van didn't have a pat stamp on them, they did have the thin, big nut ( or the earlier circle clip), flat bottom of the cam and no lightening holes...only sizes were #1, #2, #3.

As Bill pointed out to me the .5 size Friends came much later and have a titanium stem.

Here is a much better history of Friends than I could ever offer. Also some good info on the nut page for the Forrest gear.

Fun read.

http://www.needlesports.com/nutsmuseum/camsstory.htm

"Ray Jardine took out a patent on the 4th June 1977 and distributed the Friends in the United States for a short period under the style of the firm, Jardine Enterprises.

The first units marketed were the sizes of 1, 2 and 3 inches at the price of $17,80 each. Built of aerospace aluminium alloy and of unrivalled strength, they would allow (while respecting certain conditions) to secure the tricky, flared cracks. The two circlips of the original samples were quickly replaced by two bonded jam nuts."