[TR] Smiff Roxs - Solar 4/16/2009

shapp

Trip: Smiff Roxs - Solar

Date: 4/16/2009

Trip Report:

Had some climby climby at smiff roxs weekend befor last. Hit up Solar. Looked at it since about 1994 but never climbed it due to the scramble/walk off described in Watts (1992). However, we spied some chains at the top of the final crack pitch from the ground while clipping the bolted routes up with the kids at the base. So the more mature and hairy males decided to go climb the nice looking cracks above now that it is easy to get down. Climbed the Phonecall from Satan for the first pitch, then the short 5.8 finger crack (holey shit that is a hard 5.8, couldn't get my fingers in it), then the 5.9 final finger/rattly hands crack to the top. Very fun, surprised you don't see more folks on it. Forget the #3 cams for the final crack, it is more like 1, 1.5 and 2 inch cams. Seems a little harder than most of the other 5.9 cracks at smith. More like 5.9 at Index.

Shapp

The photographers at the bottom didn't get any photos of the last pitch climbing

140.JPG

218.JPG

316.JPG

68.JPG

59.JPG

88.JPG

8a.JPG

912.JPG

108.JPG

Edited by shapp

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE WORK SHAPPY!!

It doesn't see much traffic but is a really cool over-all climb. Your right, that little 5.8 thin crack(more like 5.9 but short) inbetween is a bit spicey. The upper pitch is really fun and gets wide up top.

The other variation is to go up Caffeine Free(just left of Phone), go past those anchors. Clip the first 4/5 bolts of the 11a(easy 5.8 moves), move right up a crack and then up to the ledge all in one pitch. Then you avoid the thin spicey crack. That way you can go up in just 2 pitches.

JL

a cool route IMHO (3/4 stars). "traditional" start is a short 5.8 traverse from the gully on the right (nice too).

"holey shit that is a hard 5.8, couldn't get my fingers in it)"

I recall saying the same thing on that section...harder than any of the .9 crack above I thought.

I would like to do the 5.8 "finger" crack again. I think the best way is to climb a couple moves to the only good hand hold, throw in a 0 and 00 tcu, move back down and climb the face to the right past the thin crack.

Edited by shapp