Conditions on Leuthold, Reid Glacier Headwall, WyE

thoth

I'm flying out tomorrow night to climb up one of the first three and ski down the standard. What are the current conditions? Can I leave the ice screws at home? It looks like avy conditions might be stabilizing towards Saturday/Sunday.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm flying in today, it looks like ~ 1-3 inches Friday night, the avy forecasts are mixed bad when warm, better when cold, helpful...

I'll check stuff Friday (i.e. troll local shops/forums for beta), right now it looks like Sunday is our best bet.

Worst case scenario is we'll hike up to the end of the easy south side stuff then ski it.

I bailed, calls for high avy conditions generally make me skip routes and my friend had already done the standard route so he wasn't into that. We skied Mt. Saint Helens instead. Worm Flows/Swift Glacier is very, very easy and non-technical and the snow conditions sucked - deep mush but I've never been on a volcano before so I was happy to have the experience and see the views.

If one skis the Reid or Leutholds is it possible to just bare hard left and make it back to T-line, without having to boot it?

Maybe if you ski all the way to the base of I-rock, and then make a hard left. But, I dunno, I have never been to the backside of I-rock, but looking at the possibility from just the saddle, it might not work, and you'll end up booting anyways. Try it next time you're up there and let us know. :brew: