[TR] Stuart Range - Ski Traverse 3/27/2009

Gaston

Trip: Stuart Range - Ski Traverse

Date: 3/27/2009

Trip Report:

Starting Friday, March 27th, JW and I spent several nights ski touring through the Stuart Range. I don't have the ability to post photos right now, but I will try to cover all the salient observations we made.

Day 1: Ski up eight mile road and into the basin under the Sherpa Glacier.

Day 2: Ski up the Sherpa, up the SE shoulder up to the False summit. Ski down.

Day 3: Ski east into the basin under Argonaut. Cross a non-technical col and descend into the Porcupine Creek drainage. Ascend to top of Colchuck Glacier, ski up Colchuck, then ski all the way down to Colchuck lake.

Day 4: Ski back to Icicle Creek road.

Snow coverage is fairly thin up to 5500', then decent above (schrunds on Sherpa gl. were not fully closed up). The NE face of Stuart is beautiful right now, but probably in poor climbing shape, with delaminated ice streaks over the lower slabs. What little we could see of the NW flank of the mountain looked a little bettter; the NW face couloir might just be in.

Dragontail looks pretty dry. The runnels on TC do not appear to be formed at all, and the N Face looked like snow and rock. The NE couloir on Colchuck looked fine for climbing, but bony for skiing.

In general, the mixed routes looked like like they were in good shape maybe a week before we showed up, or just before the last warming/rain event. Temps came down toward the end of our trip, with a low of -11 C on sunday afternoon; maybe the ice will reform during April?

It's still reasonable to do a ski tour in the range, with little or no booting on roads or trails. Big couloirs seem a little thin right now, however. North facing, open runs (Sherpa, Ice Cliff, Stuart Glacier, Colchuck Glacier) still have some good snow hanging on.

Hope this helps someone! Let me know if I can provide any other specifics.

Cheers

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic