Half Dome rockfall alert

billcoe

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090401/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_sj_valley_yosemite_rockfall

Looks like the death slabs are both aptly named and probably impossible to safely climb to get to the base of the dome if anyone is considering it. This mornings fall is the latest round of what is looking more like a routine thing. The regular half dome trail should still get you there in one piece. Could be a climbing route or 3 was affected as well dependent on the rock origin.

"

Rockfall closes Yosemite trail near Half Dome

AP

41 mins ago

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. – Officials say no one was injured in a giant rockfall near Yosemite National Park's iconic Half Dome, but it did close a trail.

The tumbling boulders unleashed so much fury before daybreak Saturday that it registered as a magnitude-2.5 earthquake. The debris fell into Tenaya Canyon and buried the southern portion of the Mirror Lake loop trail.

The park's geologist said the rockfall was reminiscent of one in 1996 that created an air blast that felled thousands of trees, killing one tourist.

Geologist Greg Stock said the avalanche at 5:26 a.m. from Ahwiyah Point was the largest in 10 years, surpassing the October event that forced the park to permanently close part of Curry Village.

Rockfall is the most powerful force of nature altering the park's topography."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard that a couple of campgrounds are closed because of this rockfall so there can be some "evaluations". Not sure if it's an April Fools joke or not. Probably real though. If you were planning on going that way soon, you better look into it!

I don't think the NPS has any sense of humor. http://www.nps.gov/yose/

I think that's someone else's April Fools joke. NPS website doesn't make notice of anything but the Mirror Lake trail closure.

"Campgrounds

* Yosemite Valley: Upper Pines Campground is open; reservations are required. North Pines Campground is open for those with prior reservations in Lower Pines and will open on April 1 with reservations required (and new reservations available). Lower Pines Campground will open on April 4; reservations are required. Camp 4 is open on a first-come, first-served basis."

Normal...for now.

Web cam here -pretty stunning quality: http://www.yosemite.org/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/ahwahnee.jpg

ahwahnee.jpg

The death slab approach looks ....well ....uhhh....f*ed .....but it looked that way last rockfall avalanche. :wave:

Hey Pink!

How bout you meet me down there in a few weeks for a 10 year reunion?

And you can finally give me that 80 bucks you owe me!

How's the finger?

Hey, I think Pink's middle finger is still generally straight out Mikey! Probably sprained it from all this typing. :lmao: Pink, if you choose to show, I think there's gonna be @ 10-12 of us heading down mid-May if you need a belay on easier stuff once Mikey there has his way with you and you get totally worked and hammered.

Hey Pink!

How bout you meet me down there in a few weeks for a 10 year reunion?

And you can finally give me that 80 bucks you owe me!

How's the finger?

i'll give you $160 if u drag my ass up the royal arches.....

Finger is good!!!!!

MyPicture2.jpg