Google Earth - lost data issue

sobo

OK, so I'm not entirely as tech-saavy as a lot of you young kids here are, but I did a search here and came up with nuthin'. And no, I'm not gonna join a nerdy tech-related board just to find an answer to the question. So here's the situation:

Earlier this week I updated my Goggle Earth from 4.whatever to the "new & improved" ( :rolleyes: ) 5.whatever cuz it asked me to when I last opened it up. I figured, "Hey, why not?" What I didn't realize was that when the update took place, it wiped out ALL of my placemarks and other important shit! Now I can't go back and reload/find it, and my IT guy either doesn't wanna fuck with it or actually doesn't know how to get it back for me. For all intents and purposes, it appears that it's essentially gone for good. :o

So my question is, has anyone else updated to GE 5, and if you managed to get your data back, how didja do it?

And if you haven't updated to GE 5 yet, DON'T DO IT WITHOUT A BACK-UP OF YOUR SHIT!!!1 :anger:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru,

Before you posted that, I went back to the back-up server and found 3 kml (not kmz) files, each one preceded by "myplaces". They were called:

myplaces.kml

myplaces.backup.kml

myplaces.kml.tmp

They were from sometime in late January, which may have been the last time I opened GE before this week, when I accepted the upgrade invitation. I just copied those 3 files back into the GE folder on my hard drive and relaunched GE...

SHAZAM!!!1 I am back up and running with all of my placemarks back, but the version reverted back to GE 4.2 (actually, 4.2.0205.5730). So the bottom line is that I'm all better now, and I'll just skip the 5.whatever "upgrade" :rolleyes: altogether.

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and support in this most trying of timez... :wave:

PS: FYI, I ran the search for kmz files while I was typing the above. Result: "Search is complete. There are no results to display."

Edited by sobo

You're probably correct, iain, cuz all I had on the back-up server were kml files, and all of my placemarks are points, not lines. And all of my placemarks are back now, after copying those kml files back into the folder.

I just hope that no other schmucks make the same mistake that I did this morning and lose their points for good. If it wasn't for the company BU server, I'd have been über-hosed...