[TR] Southfork of Shoshone River (Cody, WY) - Stringer/High on Boulder 1/30/2009

esugi

Trip: Southfork of Shoshone River (Cody, WY) - Stringer/High on Boulder

Date: 1/30/2009

Trip Report:

Second trip to Cody this year. This time, I had specific climbs in mind that I wanted to finish and do. For one, I only climbed the first pitch (WI3) of Stringer last time. This time, I wanted to check out what's beyond the first pitch. The second pitch was nothing more then tiered WI2. Then, I coaxed Lukic into slogging another 20-30 min (?) in sometimes deep snow to the last pitch (WI3). Good warm-up day.

Stringer

Stringer.jpg

Lukic looking solid on P1

StringerP1.jpg

Slogging up to P3

StringerSlog.jpg

Me having fun on P3

StringerP3.jpg

Rapping off this mother...

Stringer_Rap.jpg

These guys did not want to move for nothing....so we did

BigHornSheep.jpg

Next day, we were eyeing the uber classic High on Boulder (WI4).

HighOnBoulder.jpg

HOB is on left...the right hand fork is called Moonrise (140m, WI5). The left hand variation at the top of second pitch is called Save It For Later (50m, WI3+)

HighOnBoulder_Moonrise.jpg

Next objective...maybe next year. The lower pitch and upper pitches of Mean Green (Winter Dance book calls it one of the top ten routes in N. America).

MeanGreen.jpg

Getting an early start, we were the first ones to the base of High On Boulder. Crossing the river turned out to be pretty easy as we found areas of solid ice...but just in case, I was prepared with flip-flops (and Lukic with his tenni's). An hour and 15 min later, we were saddling up for the climb. The main flow is climbed in three pitches. Lukic led the first 50m of WI3, which meant that I would be tackling the 2nd WI4 pitch. At the top of 3rd pitch, we contemplated for a bit whether to hike another 1/4 mile for the last 20m curtain (WI3+). What the hell, we are up here already and have tons of daylight...so I start off with an another slog fest. Lukic confidently lead the last pitch and we called it a day.

Lukic P1

HOB_P1.jpg

Me approaching the headwall of P2

HOG_P2.jpg

My arms tired...my calves are aching!!

HOB_P2closeup.jpg

After topping out of the main flow, I semi-relax and take in the beautiful scenery across the valley.

Looking_across_valley.jpg

Almost to the fourth pitch...I can do it, I can do it...

Approaching_P4.jpg

Lukic on P4

HOB_P4.jpg

If we were actually good climbers, we would have climbed the last pitch. The Pillar of Pain (WI5) was technically a part of the first ascent but it is seldon climbed today...therefore considered a separate climb all together.

Pillar_of_Pain1.jpg

This place is awesome!!

walk_across_Shoshone_River1.jpg

Man, what a fantastic trip. We were originally planning to climb 3 days but since we climbed our asses off in two days, we elected to catch a earlier flight back to Seattle and catch some of the Superbowl game....actually, I need to do more pull-ups and squats...I was pretty much wasted after 2 days!! :(

Approach Notes:

lots of snow this year! But finally, the avy danger seems to have subsided.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A very understated and humble trip report by a very fun climbing partner. I'm very new to ice, but the second pitch of High on Boulder was a very stout lead that was difficult to follow by a chump like me. I definately appreciate how Eiji left out the 5 minutes of hang time I took on the last pitch and replaced it with: "confidently led."