[TR] Shuksan - 1960 Route 1/25/2009

CTAC

Trip: Shuksan - 1960 Route

Date: 1/25/2009

Trip Report:

This Sunday, January 25, Roger Lewis, Steve Murphy, and myself, Stanislav Zinkov, climbed 1960 route on Shuksan. We couldn't find a whole lot of info on the route so we rated it Grade III, Class 5.4, AI3. The approach was easy via White Salmon Creek. We witnessed a huge avalanche on Hanging Glacier. The higher we went the less consolidated the snow got.

Eventually we got to the base of the route, three hours after leaving the parking lot. There we climbed three pitches of ice and rock. The ice was so thin I set only one screw total. Meanwhile, I used a lot of cams, stoppers, and tri-cams. We then un-roped and climbed 200 ft of steep snow afterwards. By that time we ended up on top of Hanging Glacier. From there we navigated around a couple of crevasses and were right below the summit pyramid.

Winds picked up and there was a lot of spin drift; we decided to call it a day. The descend on White Salmon Glacier seem to never end. Eventually we had to endure the stairmaster up to the bottom of Chair 8. Overall it took us 16 hours.

Untitled.png

IMG_1723.png

P1010654.png

P1010657.png

P1010660.png

IMG_1718.png

IMG_1742.png

Gear Notes:

Mostly rock gear: two camps, a set of small stoppers, and a set of tri-cams.

Approach Notes:

Bring snowshoes or skies. Right below the Hanging Glacier a lot of avalanche debris covered by a thin layer of snow and you will risk twisting a leg while punching throw between chunks of ice.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a ton of potential lines between the NE butt and the NW rib. Sadly, the snow isn't consolidating into good ice in the corners at the moment, but if yer looking for some good moderate climbing to dull your crampons on, it's great. As I remember it, Stani, you used more micronuts than anything. Cracks tended to be pretty small.

There also appear to be some cool looking pure ice and mixed lines closer to the ski area. Haven't scoped them out up close yet.

Good goin boys! We saw you guys on it while we were descending the glacier. You must've had a late start, I think it was 3:00pm when we saw you low on the route. Looks better in your pictures than it does from the glacier. Good conditions on that peak last weekend for sure.