Winter Traverse

stroutman81

Hello -

I'm heading up to the White Mountains of NH in late February for a crack at the Presidential Traverse in winter. I've completed the hike numerous times but never in the dead of winter. I'm sure many of you are aware, but for those who aren't, it can get nasty up there real quick. It's nothing to see 100+ mph winds, white out conditions, and temps well well below zero.

I'm trying to decide on what gear to go with for base layering.

In the past I've simply gone with a single baselayer that is light/mid weight, fleece pants, and a rainproof shell pant. Similar for upper body.

I'm wondering if there's an advantage to going with a lightweight base and then a heavier weight baselayer on top of the light.

Any thoughts? I feel my base layering system is most critical to my warmth.

What brands are you guys liking for this stuff too? I've been a fan of smartwool in the past.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally go with a lightweight baselayer top and bottom, and adjust upwards from there, and prefer to go in light/midweight increments. Layering wool underneath synthetic will make your synth less nasty, esp for multiday outings. Brand- meh, take what you have, I wear a mix of Icebreaker, Smartwool, and patagonia. Take a big puffy, cause you're not going to be moving negative temps and 100mph wind. Have fun!

Keep breathability in mind when layering. I have had problems with certain weaves of fabrics not breathing as well (I wont wear several synth shirts in the cold because I end up sweating too much into the first layer. First 2 layers should be a thinner weave to allow moisture to escape from the skin surface

Stoutman,

I would not take too much stock in what Johndavid says. He seems to like the sound of his own voice. The very broad strokes if his statements are valid, after that he looses credibility. I will expect him to post at least another 10 times with the same tired statements.

You don't need to purchase the most expensive stuff. What is most important is what you get for you $$. However this tends to be at upper not lower end of the price scale.

In your layering system try not to go bulky to quickly. It is easier to fine tune thin and medium weight layers than thicker layers. Breathability is number one, and hopefully the ability to dry out when wet. The thicker you go the harder it will be to dry out when it gets wet.

Have you considered a vapor barrier as part of your clothing system? On the cold days around here I have used a t-shirt with sili nylon sewn to the back. I have been happy with that when I used it. Worn out and have yet to make another one. I keeps my layers dry in the first place so I don't have to worry about sweat.

Check out this.

http://www.rbhdesigns.com/product/1156/vaprthrmnts-vest.htm

I am going to source fabric from these guys and make a costome vest for the NW as I think the full vest they make is a bit much for the NW. However the temps you are talking about it would be perfect.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. I've been into hiking and outdoor sport for a long while now. Compared to others, sure, I'm not a pro. But I have accumulated a nice selection of gear over the years. With this thread I was more thinking out loud hoping others could throw out their suggestions of what they'd wear on something like a winter traverse on the Whites. Thanks to those who have so far.

And more thoughts are welcome of course.

Shit, I did the traverse last may and froze. Granted, we got caught in a rain/ice storm and 100+ mph winds, but you have to expect that stuff. This will be my coldest trip of my life and I suppose I'm nervous about what gear to wear for optimal ventilation and warmth.

Promountainsports.com, a local shop owned by Jim Nelson, has some good information on the subject.

Here's what I use in winter conditions on really bad days:

TOP:

T shirt

long sleeve shirt (I get the syntho shirts they give away at 10Ks and stuff from Goodwill; that fabric seems to work the best)

softshell

down sweater

light hooded shell (anything reasonably windproof will do)

windstopper balaklava

down hood (around the neck or worn as needed)

Down parka as backup

Bottom:

microfibre boxers

Longjohns

schoeller pants

lightest nylon wind pants you can find

calf length smartwool socks

OR Alti mitts

goggles (of course)

You should be able to travel in some pretty nasty conditions gussied up like that, as well as hang around camp in style.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Probably the most important thing is to pay attention and take the time to stop when necessary to take clothes on and off to avoid sweating and getting your clothes wet from the inside. I did that traverse with leather boots and mostly army surplus wool clothing many years ago after attempting it once before but being turned around in storm winds so strong that we literally couldn't sit still without holding on to something. Frostbiting feet and hands was a real concern but we never got cold to the core and there were times when, even at zero or less, we hiked in shirt sleeves below timberline. It might be only for a half hour while on a steep climb, and you might have to put on down immediately upon stopping, but it IS possible to avoid sweating out your clothes.

Quick thoughts.

If you sweat a lot like me taking synthetic base layer is the only way to go since Iit transports sweat much quicker than wool.

Try not to sweat =)). Even when I try not to, I still sweat.

Wool is far superior though. If you can manage it take wool and be grateful. Sheep are great...

Brian

Wise words, I definitely agree. Sweat management is priority number 1.

The OR Alti mitts were suggested above. I was hoping to pick some new mitts up soon but I was looking at these:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1431&prod=2762&cat=1485&viewAll=False

Anyone have any experience or opinions of them?

Go with the OR mitts!! I've been using them for years up in AK and never had a problem with cold fingers even at -60!