[TR] The Tooth - South Face 1/19/2009

mkporwit

Trip: The Tooth - South Face

Date: 1/19/2009

Trip Report:

My friend Larry and I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and bag the Tooth. Gene's recent TR only added to the stoke.

We planned on doing an overnight trip, so we headed up Sunday afternoon. We dug ourselves a nice snow cave in the basin below the climb and hit the sack. Monday was a pretty leisurely start. We got to the base of the route a little after nine. As Larry was getting ready to lead the first pitch we saw two other climbers come up. Turns out it was peakpimp and a friend.

Most of the climb was pretty uneventful, as the south face is mostly free of snow. There is some deep slush in the trees above the second pitch, and the summit has snow leading down to the rap gully.

3211918370_95c71ba7e2.jpg

The start of the south face

3211089199_c4b64546a2.jpg

The final, short pitch to the summit. The slushy snow is below

3211086215_37fa5e61ab.jpg

Rapping off the summit towards the rap tree

We also found some ice that looked to be in shape and pretty fat. Saw a couple of climbers on Sunday on what I think was the base of Bryant.

3211894402_d8bbd2445c.jpg

The ice on Bryant(??). Instead of turning left to head up towards the basin, follow the winter trail until you run into the headwall

Overall a great outing in almost perfect conditions. Go get some before the next weather system moves in.

Pics to follow once I upload them to flickr.

Gear Notes:

Crampons/Ice axes helpful but not necessary to get from the basin to the start of the route and back down.

Approach Notes:

There's a pretty good boot track, at least until the next snow storm.

Edited by mkporwit

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add that right now there's a pimp snow cave up there in the hanging valley. If anyone wants to run up there some evening, then hit the climb at first light and be back in time for breakfast, it's all yours. Should be pretty easy to spot heading up towards Pineapple Pass.

3211091463_02462d6282.jpg

Your domicile for the evening, should you chose to take advantage of it