Good Ol' Tents...

CollinWoods

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this tent is for climbing, read on. If you want one tent to do it all (climb with, car camp with the homies, take your special someone out in), then do yourself a favor and plan on buying 2 or 3 tents now rather than buying one tent that kinda sucks for each purpose.

Anyways,

Do you have the flexibility to cancel overnight plans if the weather looks like it's gonna suck, or are you the type of person who will go out even with a marginal forecast?

If you are flexible, this suggests a low probability of being out in crappy conditions overnight. In this case, something light and compact is all you need, like a BD Firstlight, or even a tarp if you know how to use it. Yeah, occasionally you might wish for something beefier, but I would argue it's worth it to be have a rare uncomfortable one night in exchange for having a lighter load most other nights you end up being out.

If you make plans far in advance, and are loathe to cancel/modify them in the face of a shitty forecast, then you would likely be happier with something sturdier and more weatherproof.

I've very happy with 2 tents, as Jared suggests.

1 BD firstlight. The best protection for two for under 3 lbs for under $500.

2 Moss starlight 2 (not made anymore, but absolutely bomber, roomy, quick setup and relatively lightweight at 8.2 lbs)

I would be happy with a Warmlite 3R too, if I had an extra $850 laying around. I've used it and like it.

I agree with jared j. and Mccallboater. The Black Diamond Firstlight is a great tent...as long as you're not over 6 feet tall. If you don't mind cozy sleeping, you can't go wrong with this tent for alpine climbing. You have to do your own seam sealing (less than an hour). It seems to meet most of your criteria and is around 3 pounds with stakes.rod_at_the_parking_lot_073.JPG

Edited by Le Piston

• 2 months later...