Time for Seattle Cyclists to Pay up?

Fairweather

A cyclist who does not also drive a car likely pays no property or business taxes either. He or she is also, possibly, a heavily taxpayer-subsidized student. Ok, he likely pays sales tax on that Big Gulp that he buys down the street from campus. A pittance, really. His parasitic social standing remains.

Drivers pays a pittance, considering the wear on the roads, the pollution, and the thousands of bystanders killed annually. When is the last time a bicyclist has killed a bystander?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cyclist who does not also drive a car likely pays no property or business taxes either. He or she is also, possibly, a heavily taxpayer-subsidized student. Ok, he likely pays sales tax on that Big Gulp that he buys down the street from campus. A pittance, really. His parasitic social standing remains.

Drivers pays a pittance, considering the wear on the roads, the pollution, and the thousands of bystanders killed annually. When is the last time a bicyclist has killed a bystander?

You're kidding, right?

Yo fuckedweather, I already believe are paying there fair share. Anyone who is paying state taxes is paying ofr the road, sidewalks, schools, parks, and bike lanes whether they use them or not. All of the licensing fee that are associated with the things mentioned in the article go towards enforcement agencies. Why should cyclist pay for law enforcement agencies who could give a crap about cyclist rights on the road? Wake up.

Yo fuckedweather, I already believe are paying there fair share. Anyone who is paying state taxes is paying ofr the road, sidewalks, schools, parks, and bike lanes whether they use them or not. All of the licensing fee that are associated with the things mentioned in the article go towards enforcement agencies. Why should cyclist pay for law enforcement agencies who could give a crap about cyclist rights on the road? Wake up.

Like I said, I don't really support this tax but I do enjoy watching hypocrisy at its finest. Based on the composition of your statement above, we still have a long way to go regarding schools.

Taxes for local roads = sales taxes, business taxes, property taxes

Gasoline taxes, car tabs, etc., do NOT pay for anything more than a mere fraction of local roads.

Highways are funded largely from gasoline taxes, but some amount of my sales taxes goes to highways.

A cyclist who does not drive subsidizes cars.

aside from the more than a few unsupportable assumptions here, since when are students 'parasites'? I thought one of the biggest problems in this country was that students were struggling to afford the higher education they need to survive in this minimum wage society, you know, the kind of affordability and subsidies that FW enjoyed when he was a student. I've never heard anyone, ever, before now complain that students are not paying enough taxes. That's so out of touch with what's happening, and what should happen, in this country that, well, you heard it hear first, folks.

Perhaps students should also pay for FW's new sidewalk? In addition, I hardly think that a guy who buys beer for his dog should be concerned about which beverages students are consuming these days.