Afghanistan

kevbone

Totally correct. Some of the embassy personnel never leave station. Certain military MOS's in logistics positions will never leave the confines of their base compound either. It's just the nature of their particular jobs.

I was sort of ignoring that part of Ken's response, but I have spent hundreds of hours drinking tea in somewhat inane, but formal meetings with many people. I have also spent time in the countryside, always been a keen observer of the people, and the surroundings. There is a beauty to Afghanistan, that the underlying dangers seem to magnify.

There are varying reports of the PRT's effectiveness, and like most things in life it appears to fall along the lines of personal relationships. All of the conventional services are, and have been, going to great lengths to finally shed their mantles of Cold War warfighting mentalities, and embrace the new paradigms of COIN and other styles of UW. It is interesting to observe this firsthand.

In essence the SOF community got dragged into the head to head fighting, some of which they were suited to, and some of which their TOE and METL's were not designed for. Not all ODA's are running foreign internal defense operations, but this was the original premise of the Green Beret's mandate. To act as a force multiplier moving amongst the indigenous peoples as ambassadors as well as warriors. Their missions have become diverse, and now their special skills, when needed most, are unavailable due to many factors. Despite many years in country, the language barriers are still present, but many have adapted, and the gap is closing.

The various FSO agencies seem to be operating, at least in my opinion, with less effectiveness than their military counterparts. I believe they are also adapting to the changing world, but I still run into some pretty green folks who have never been outside a station that wasn't plush and almost Colonial in perspective. Also, a lot of those staffers are females, and like it or not, the culture in Afghanistan is strongly male dominated. It does not look like they have any interest in changing their ways on that one.

I'll write some more later, and try to define our definition of victory. We're somewhat back to Victorian-Edwardian era chaos, and although the center of gravity is often centered on Pakistan, the whole region is amorphous. An analogy would be like cutting the arm off a starfish. It will just grow another one.

One school of thought gaining favor involves NOT occupying and attempting nation building, but simply gaining the concession from the Afghan government that come what may for them, that they will guarantee denial of any group which might desire to cause the west or the US harm. The government would be free to simply deal with these organizations as they see fit, with some oversight and advisory support I presume.

I am looking forward to hearing from military point of view this war being declared victorious.

I definitely agree a lot of the FSO work is most likely inadequate, but I am not sure if I would agree that the military counterparts are more effective. Or at least I haven't heard of examples. It is also a pretty bizzare set-up for these FSO people, because as you say most are female in a male dominated society. Though ones I do know there say in general they are treated with repect, (who knows maybe it is superfical). Then I think that the general Afghani population feels like these people are so far removed from the their lives that their is no way they even begin to understand or help them.

And I agrees sitting down and having meetings drinking tea seems so inane and pointless, but what I have found it is that just respectful custom before anything begins. It is part of being native. Even trying to buy a car here in Bangladesh is rediculus, first we sit down have tea talk about families, life, work and all I want to do is buy freaking car. Then the next time I visit we can start talking about available cars and prices. When I started my search at first I went in like an american, what do you got?, how much is it?, and basically I was a bideshis and was getting quoted rediculus prices and told a lot of bullshit.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been there too and they'll smile to your face as long as you're looking at them and dropping cash on 'em. Just don't turn your back. Sure, there are nice people there but they live and breathe corruption; soon as we leave it will all fall apart and the Taliban will be right back.

Totally correct. Some of the embassy personnel never leave station. Certain military MOS's in logistics positions will never leave the confines of their base compound either. It's just the nature of their particular jobs.

I was sort of ignoring that part of Ken's response, but I have spent hundreds of hours drinking tea in somewhat inane, but formal meetings with many people. I have also spent time in the countryside, always been a keen observer of the people, and the surroundings. There is a beauty to Afghanistan, that the underlying dangers seem to magnify.

There are varying reports of the PRT's effectiveness, and like most things in life it appears to fall along the lines of personal relationships. All of the conventional services are, and have been, going to great lengths to finally shed their mantles of Cold War warfighting mentalities, and embrace the new paradigms of COIN and other styles of UW. It is interesting to observe this firsthand.

In essence the SOF community got dragged into the head to head fighting, some of which they were suited to, and some of which their TOE and METL's were not designed for. Not all ODA's are running foreign internal defense operations, but this was the original premise of the Green Beret's mandate. To act as a force multiplier moving amongst the indigenous peoples as ambassadors as well as warriors. Their missions have become diverse, and now their special skills, when needed most, are unavailable due to many factors. Despite many years in country, the language barriers are still present, but many have adapted, and the gap is closing.

The various FSO agencies seem to be operating, at least in my opinion, with less effectiveness than their military counterparts. I believe they are also adapting to the changing world, but I still run into some pretty green folks who have never been outside a station that wasn't plush and almost Colonial in perspective. Also, a lot of those staffers are females, and like it or not, the culture in Afghanistan is strongly male dominated. It does not look like they have any interest in changing their ways on that one.

I'll write some more later, and try to define our definition of victory. We're somewhat back to Victorian-Edwardian era chaos, and although the center of gravity is often centered on Pakistan, the whole region is amorphous. An analogy would be like cutting the arm off a starfish. It will just grow another one.

One school of thought gaining favor involves NOT occupying and attempting nation building, but simply gaining the concession from the Afghan government that come what may for them, that they will guarantee denial of any group which might desire to cause the west or the US harm. The government would be free to simply deal with these organizations as they see fit, with some oversight and advisory support I presume.

I am looking forward to hearing from military point of view this war being declared victorious.

I definitely agree a lot of the FSO work is most likely inadequate, but I am not sure if I would agree that the military counterparts are more effective. Or at least I haven't heard of examples. It is also a pretty bizzare set-up for these FSO people, because as you say most are female in a male dominated society. Though ones I do know there say in general they are treated with repect, (who knows maybe it is superfical). Then I think that the general Afghani population feels like these people are so far removed from the their lives that their is no way they even begin to understand or help them.

And I agrees sitting down and having meetings drinking tea seems so inane and pointless, but what I have found it is that just respectful custom before anything begins. It is part of being native. Even trying to buy a car here in Bangladesh is rediculus, first we sit down have tea talk about families, life, work and all I want to do is buy freaking car. Then the next time I visit we can start talking about available cars and prices. When I started my search at first I went in like an american, what do you got?, how much is it?, and basically I was a bideshis and was getting quoted rediculus prices and told a lot of bullshit.

Ha, that last part sounds like the life of a lobbyist.

• 7 months later...