Cascades Steep skiing

coldiron

I'm looking for partners for steep stuff, and I'm always psyched to ski with anyone that likes to move fast. I'm having a hard time finding partners in Spokane, and figured I'd try further afield. I could meet up for skiing around Rainier, Snoq. Pass, Alpine Lakes, or anywhere else I can get to in 4 hours from Spokane.

call (509)475-4056 or email coldiron12@yahoo.com

-Scott Coldiron

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might talk to Mike Beiser at the University of Idaho Outdoor Program (he's the boss). He'll tell you about a bunch of good skiing in between Moscow ID and where Snoboy lives.

UI Outdoor Program

You ain't a student, but he's still a good guy to talk to. He might even know other non students looking for partners.

From my memory I highly recommend Freezout Ridge (Near Moscow, road access may be a problem) and the Wallowas out of Enterprize OR. Both of these locations are under 4 hours. I have skied a bunch up in Snoboy land. Salmo pass has some good roadside runs.

Tell Mike Kurt Fickeisen recommended him.

Unless your a felon, why would you make the drive to Snoqualmie instead?

I like skiing Red and Whitewater. I just figure my chances of finding partners for the cascades are pretty good on "cascade climbers".

Basically, I'll drive a ways for good partners. I'm solo quite a bit as it is and that limits my terrain options somewhat.

Lots of people in Spokane seem to have the bad habit of working 9 to 5, So if you've got weekdays off- hit me up for some turns.

McCall is a bit more than 4 hours from Spokane, but it boasts superb steep skiing and consistently better snow than either Spokane or the Cascades have to offer. Plus a local backcountry crowd that still knows something about farming a slope for turns.

Just a thought.

]

McCall is a ways for regular trips, but I'd sure like to get down there once this year if the skiing's that good. Any beta or partner info would be appreciated.

No shit. I just googled you too. Looks like you're one of those 6k before lunch guys. The good news for you is that there are others with that kind of commitment to big vert around here. Last season I skied a day with a recently retired smokejumper, who when asked, in mid March, how many days of climbing for turns he had so far, said "Oh, maybe 80." Guys and gals like that make one a little humble.