Ski Bibs- WTF?

korup

Why is Arcteryx the only company making serious ski bibs? Patagucci, THF, others used to make sweet ski bibs, now it is all just pants...am I now just another angry old guy like McCain? Second Ascent has piles of superb used almost new bibs- in women's, and men's small. Arghhhhh!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is Arcteryx the only company making serious ski bibs? Patagucci, THF, others used to make sweet ski bibs, now it is all just pants...am I now just another angry old guy like McCain? Second Ascent has piles of superb used almost new bibs- in women's, and men's small. Arghhhhh!

If you are talking about goretex bibs, then also consider MEC.

If you are talking about softshell bibs, then yes the ArcTeryx gamma salopette is pretty much the only thing left. My religious fondness for softshell bibs been made fun of in previous threads along these lines, but I still don't know why softshell bibs have fallen off the market so much. Moving more than 10mins in goretex pants is a friggin sauna for me.

There's no bibs because not many people buy them.

I find them way too hot and fartbagish (although I'm a sweaty person). They're harder to layer with and to drop when the coffee hits the bowels. There's more material so they don't pack as small with little benefit from the extra fabric. They're snow specific so they're not as versatile in the shoulder seasons. There's lots of reasons not to like them although since the largest market is resort skiing I'd say that the driving factor is that they're just not fashionable right now

I'm probably going to get MEC's Dogma pant this year. That or the Patagonia Alpine Guide. Whichever fits better.

Pants = less material, lighter, don't look like such a dork when wearing your ice climbing gear into the Reynolds at 6 AM.

I, too, have often been incredibly anxious about the appropriate attire for that particular social engagement. I usually go with an open collar, but I once encountered the place full of ties and couldn't show my face in there for weeks. Smurf blue is obviously the hot colour this season.