Slack Lines

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately both! I know that a lot of top climbers are very serious about slack-lining, but I think it's training in the same way that stretching is part of training - a supplement to more "hard" forms of training like fingerboards and walls. Really works on balance, coordination and focus, but doesn't work your muscles that much (although I've found my abs are often sore after a session).

On a recent trip to patagonia, we were sharing a basecamp with yosemite superstar Dean Potter, and he swore by a routine of 2 hours of slack lining a day + bouldering to stay in climbing shape during the long spells of shit weather. They had this amazing network of slacklines set up all around their tents, up to 10 feet off the ground, he would absentmindedly spend an hour or more walking around without touching the ground - while chatting with whoever was around. (Probably that's why Dean's a 5.14 climber; I feel good when I can stay on 30 seconds.) ;-)

My understanding of a slack line is simply a rope strung horizontally between 2 anchors just high enough for travel (or standing still)without touching the ground. Same thing as a circus tight rope, only much lower.

I dont have much slack in mine (I think the term slack line is refering to its use durring "slack time", waiting for conditions to stabilize in camp, etc.) Anyway here is how I strung mine-

1. tie one end to tree #1 with a bowline

2. about 2'-3' short of tree #2 tie an overhand knot leaving a 6" loop

3. pass the end of the rope around tree #2

4. put the end of the rope through the overhand loop

5. pull back towards tree # 2 and secure with another overhand knot.

I used some 5/8" braided nylon rope I had from safty rope used for roofing. You dont want to use good rope, the first overhand knot may be permenant after a couple of uses.

There seems to be no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it is challengeing your balance.

I've always seen it done with 1" webbing. Better for walking and also maybe nicer to the trees? It's usually mounted with a slight modification to the system that bronco describes:

1. Tie one end of the webbing to tree #1 and tie a small loop at the far end 2-3' from tree #2

2. Construct an anchor with a separate piece of webbing on tree #2.

3. Put an old oval biner on both pieces. Tie a loop in the end an old cordalette and clip it to the tree biner. Pass it through the webbing biner, back through the first biner and reef for all your worth, then tie it off. The "poor man's z-pulley" helps take extra slack out of the system and allows you to re-tighten it easily as the componants stretch out, and also to remove it when you're done.