Gnarl Fire

PaulO

I have heard that Friend of Tilly Jane are headed up this weekend with permission of the FS to stock the cabin for the weekend, so I expect it to be open at some point once the snow starts flying, but I have no idea what condition the TJ and PR trails are in. I should have more info early next week and perhaps some recent photos.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both . (16U.S.C. 551, and 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571)

so....the plan for n face climbs this year:

step 1: dismantle sign

step 2: climb n face

step 3: resist powerful urge to spray about accomplishment

:)

Well if they are going to let Winter stock the cabin then the must be thinking they will open the are once there is snow on the ground.

In the mean time, climb N face don't take any pics while with in the closed area. Spray about the accomplishment with tons-o-pics of the climb, but say you entered from another TH and give evidence of that fact.

I won't be headed up there till the snow falls anyway, but when it does ;)

Unlike Ivan I can ski and would rather ski for my decent :)

ALso, many thanks Winter for stocking the cabin. It is real nice when some one has a fire going and I pop in for a rest.

Edited by letsroll

• 2 weeks later...
i can't imagine how you'd be kept off the TJ trail once there's snow on the whole thing

wouldn't the possibility of downed trees make it hard to follow the TJ trail?

I've never been up the Elk Cove/Coe Glacier approach. How does it compare to the approach from Cloud Cap? Guess I could look at a map to figure that one out.

Flash Flood Watch

*NOAA Issue Date: 11/12/2008 3:03 PM ...Flood Watch replaced by flash Flood Watch...in effect through late tonight... The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a * flash Flood Watch for a portion of northwest Oregon... Including the following areas...northern Oregon Cascades and upper Hood River Valley. * through late tonight * heavy rain is expected tonight...especially over the north Oregon Cascades...which may cause rapid rises on creeks and streams. From 3 to 5 inches of rain is possible around the Mount Hood area from 4 Pm this afternoon through early Thursday. The area of greatest concern is the gnarl ridge burn area near Mt Hood...and the white river drainage also near Mount Hood. Creeks of most concern in the burn area are poallie creek...tilly jane creek...elliot creek and newton creek. Minor debris flows have occurred in lighter rainfall events earlier this fall. * landslides and debris flows are possible during this flood event. People...structures and roads located below steep slopes...in canyons and near the mouths of canyons may be at serious risk from rapidly moving landslides. a flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation. You should Monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should flash flood warnings be issued.