Conditioning

JIMI

I would like to know what others are doing to condition for next season. I have a limited amount of mountains under my belt, so I have to ask some simple questions.

My program at this point is as follows;

lift weights - circuit style, high reps, total body. (3-4 per week)

Play sports - ultimate frisbee, soccer, basketball. (3-4 time per week)

Hike/train run - at least once a week.

Eat good food - trying to be more lean, need to step my game up in this area.

Well I figure I'm at about 60% right now and plan to increase my training as the climbing season nears. I will start running 3-4 time per week, increase the number of exercises I do with weights, and hopefully eat better.

So tell me what your up to.

JIMI

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimi - I can't really give a workout but I want to compliment you on knowing that a good diet is important to optimal health. So many athletes I come across, in almost any sport, treat their food intake as if they were feeding a garbage disposal. So I'm glad you understand the importance of this.

The only help I can give on exercise is that I like bicycling, cross country skiing, and hiking hills with a pack. I think Courtenay on here said that it's most important to find what type of exercise works for you. The one you will do. And I agree.

Hi JIMI,

Like Snow pointed out, the best exercise is what you'll actually do consistently. Some people hate running but love climbing stairs with a pack -- the latter will be more effective for that person who dreads going out for a jog.

However, you can get a lot more specific -- depending on your ultimate goals. If, for example, you'd like to climb a trad route at 5.11b, you'll train differently (and eat differently!) than if your goal is to summit Mt. Rainier via the Emmons Glacier.

At Body Results we train people from all over the Pacific Northwest who are training for any and all types of climbing (Denali to 5.12's to trekking to alpine skiing to newbie climbers or snowshoers) and who want guidance doing so. We develop training programs which include specifics for cardiovascular, strength, flexibility training, a calendar of what to do when, and general nutrition guidelines. For more information on WebTrainer or Seattle training, visit www.bodyresults.com or www.bodyresults.com/P1Webtrainer.htm.

------------------

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS