Which one?

I'm looking into investing in either a stair master type machine or one of those newer elyptical type ones. I've been leaning towards the elypticals as it would, i think be more of an accurate similation for long hikes on steep terrain (such as an approach, or even a long slog). I'll plan on doing this with a weighted pack in an attempt to keep in shape during the weeks i can't get out during the winter.

Which type would you suggest?? Thanks for your help!

BTW - i don't have any problems with my knee's and i'm young enough i have several years left to abuse my body smile.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Lhotse,

I'd recommend the eliptical fitness cross trainers as one of the most versatile pieces of cardiovascular machinery you can buy to prepare for outdoor activities including cross-country skiing, hiking, or running (low ramp), cycling (medium ramp), and climbing (elevation gain) with a high ramp. You can also pedal backwards to work different muscles in the lower body. Stairs will basically help you with ... stair climbing. You can get an even better workout than a stair climber if you go outside and walk up and down hills or stairs--less of a tendency to drape yourself all over the machine (called "cheating.") But yes, then you DO have to walk down as well -- great interval training.

I'd suggest you look for a Precor 544 EFX refurbished model (now discontinued, so they are priced lower than the newer, high-fangled, bells and whistles Precor 546 EFX that you'll see in some gyms. In fact, for a great deal (I've done all the research; we're about to get one for our studio and a client as well) go to Worldwide Fitness.com and check out their deal: $1,899!

Courtenay

I recommend hiking.

On your off work days, take your rain gear (if wet), a pack, and set out for the trails. It's closer to climbing, you're in the elements (conditions the body and mind to the weather), and you can do it for a few hours at a time. Very hard to do on any trainer. Plus, best of all: It's free! smile.gif

Many trails all along the Cascades open year round. Including many close to Portland and Seattle. A half hour drive away. Hills, flats, etc. Just takes some research (free again!)

I'm with Snow on this one. I do what Court reccomends... fill my pack with 3-4 gallon jugs of water, some rain gear and head for the trails. Once you get to the top you can pour out your load and jog down the trails.

Here are some of my favorite training hikes near Seattle-

Mt Si- Go hike with 100 of your closest friends. Best on a weekday, or very early start on the weekends. Lots of elevation gain, and even a good view

Tiger Mtn, cable trail- This trail cuts right up the side of the hill and can be done in about 45 - 1hour. Great quick workout and very close to seattle. Year round

McClellan Butte- Tinkham road exit. Hiked this one a few weekends ago and it was starting to get snow at the top, but this one is a tad bit steeper than Si, about 4.5 mi to the top and around 4000' gain

Others: Mailbox, Granite, and Bandera but these will be snowed in sooner than later so bring some snowshoes.

Its free, and like snow said, your outdoors, what more can you ask for?

-tim

I've got an old wooden Nordic Track that I like. Back when I bought it, it was one of the most effective aerobic trainers. But I don't know how it compares with the modern elliptical ones.

Mechanical trainers are good for working up a sweat, but I still like hiking to keep my legs in shape for mountaineering. When my schedule doesn't allow me to get out on weekends, I try to do a morning hike once a week before work. My favorite is the West Tiger cable line trail at the High Point exit off I-90. I like to start out before twilight and summit (at the radio towers) around sunrise. The round trip from my house to work in Seattle is about 3 hours, depending on traffic.

Lowell Skoog

lowell.skoog@alpenglow.org

p.s. I almost never wear raingear on these hikes. I carry a big golf umbrella instead.

[This message has been edited by Lowell Skoog (edited 10-31-2000).]

Yes, all of these are good options. Main thing is to do what you most enjoy doing. I hate to admit but I'm a bit more of a "fair weather climber" and would opt to use an elliptical (in my very busy schedule -- it removes driving time!) if it's pouring down rain. But for those with tough skins and a 3-4 hour block of time (like on weekends) then by all means the best way to "train" is to most closely simulate the activity you're actually training for: getting outside on the trails with some weight on your back.

Courtenay

Hey there Lhotse,

Here's some more information on fairly priced elliptical 544's (we just announced this in our newsletter, as well -- www.bodyresults.com/E2nl15.htm): call Exercise Specialties (425-754-7783.) They are up in Everett. Good luck and let me know what you get! We're getting a 544 from Ex. Specs. Ciao!

------------------

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS