Mount Robson's North Face

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would check out the weather in Jasper. You want high presure, but you don't want warm. If it's too hot the face starts sliding as soon as the sun hits it. We hiked up the moraine on the east side of the Berg glacier avoiding the glacier until you gain half your vert to camp.

Carefull-- my first had info is old like me.

Some years on Robson go by without anyone climbing the N. face. That mountain makes its own weather.

Suggest hiking 2 weeks of food into high camp and sitting it out until you get weather window then giv'er. some friends of mine did it, waited 8 days thru pouring rain, cleared up, boom, summit & out, it rained for another 14 days after that.

For some reason best weather seems to occur near full moon time.

If your going climbing in the Canadian Rockies you better learn about sitting around and waiting. That goes for a few other mountain ranges too. Fortunately they sell beer and pot in Canada. Also if the conditions are bad in the high mountains the bow valley has great limestone climbing.