Route Finding on Mt Adams South Spur

Jeff W

On the weekend of August 23-24 I plan to climb the Mt Adams South Spur Route with my son. We both have all the necessary gear, and I have no question about either of us possessing the skills needed to do this climb over two days -- with the exception of route finding. I would guess it will be easy to follow the trail to Lunch Counter, but have read in posts that the route from Lunch Counter to the summit is not so straight forward. I have also read many cautions about staying on track during descent. Apparently it may be easy to get off track on the way down. I would appreciate feedback on this issue. Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine how you could possibly have route-finding trouble from the lunch counter to the summit.

Coming down, near timberline, just pay attention and ignore the suckertrails when merging up with the main trail back to cold springs.

It's no big deal.

You should be fine. There will be a lot of trails near the lunch counter as people explore to find campsites there. Just go uphill and you'll soon be past them.

Here are a few suggestions, meant kindly:

- Head up until there is no more up.

- Find the path of least resistance between the face to the East and the steep slope to the West. This path is likely a well-worn boot pack.

- Take a compass just in case the clouds move in.

- Take a GPS if that will ease your mind, but you really don't need it and it will frequently remind you how little you have traveled since you last checked it.

-Pay attention to the weather forecast and consider changing your plans if a storm is coming.

-Glissade when you can, but take the crampons off as they can do serious damage to you and your clothes. BTW, glissading is sliding downhill on your butt while whooping for joy.

- It will probably take you much longer to ascend the last 2000 feet than the first 2000 feet on summit day due to the elevation. Plan accordingly.

I don't mean to sound trite. You should be perfectly fine. That said, this is the second biggest mountain in WA (almost 12, 500) and it can be dangerous if the weather turns on you.

Have a great time.

• 1 month later...

I've climb Adams three times, by myself. Its really easy. I did it in one day, all three times but it was really tight on time. The hardest part for me was not falling asleep driving home. this mountain is great fun for learning to climb on snow. Presure breathing is a must, rest steps help alot, and drink lots of fluid (Very important for the altitude). The rought is staight forward, jusy climb up the least steep part. I know it sounds funny but it works on this mountain.

i found a book in the king co liabary system that was good. It had route info, and driving directions, and info on other mountains. name of book? location: renton liabary

I did summit Adams, as planned, and had no issues with route finding on the way up. It was returning to the trail head I got fouled up. At about 7000 feet the trail makes a sharp turn down hill to the left. My son got out ahead of me and missed the turn, which put us several drainages away from where we needed to be. With the GPS and a little bushwacking we hit the round the mountain trail and back on track. Other than that no issues. Nice climb; definitely want to be in shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeff - when you say "missed the turn", do you mean you spun out to the right (west)? I ask because I did something similar on the way down, but still have not figured out on the map exactly where I made my mistake. All I remember at the crucial mistake point was staring down a very steep glacier in confusion, thinking "how did I walk up THAT?" So I went off to the right of it, noting a crevasse that had separated the glacier from the ridge but not thinking clearly, likely due to physical exhaustion. I ended up an hour's walk away on RTM trail until I rejoined the South climb trail. Obviously, it was most likely not Crescent Glacier that I steered clear of... but I would like to know what I did so I don't repeat it when I return.