Trail to Mt.Persis (near Index)??

thefinalcut

Anyone climbed Mt.Persis (next to Mt.Index) lately? Last weekend I went up there and I couldn't find the trail. I found something that looked like a trail, but required heavy bushwhacking. My partner wasn't ready for that kind of thing and we had to turn back. Either I didn't find the trail or the trail hasn't recovered from the winter madness.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "trail" as I remember is only about a quarter mile from the trail head, and goes up beside a creek, on the right. There isn't much a of trail, lots of bushwacking and a couple small cliffs to scramble up. You won't find anything that looks like a real trail until you reach the ridge.

Wrongo.

The trail starts about 150 yards south of the end of the road.

Go up the road to the fork. Right will take you into the valley to the south of Persis.

Left will take you to the end of the road the trail starts from.

The trail is steep and brushy to begin with but well defined. Way better than a game trail but not like a trail on Tiger Mt.

The way up from the valley up the right fork is not bad though. Park at the top of the valley. Continue up the brushy road on foot. Cut right at the first switchback to get into the creek bottom. Go up the rocky creek. At the headwall go up the wet slabs to the right. Get through the brush at the lip and you are on talus most of the way to the ridge crest.

I missed it the first time I ever went up there. Went to the road end, followed flagging, did some serious tree pulling and scrambling before it started raining and we all felt like idiots.

Follow Bug's directions and you will be fine. Trust me, if you have to use your hands and are trying to tell you that what you are is a trail, you're not on it.