Celcius Conversion

EV

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a simple way for converting fahrenheit to celcius and vice versa? I'm heading up north and need to be able to figure this out.

A guy in Banff explained it to me last year, but I've already forgot.

Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Jman: Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll remember it this time.

To Cpt. Caveman: Thanks, also. I had to chuckle a little when I read your reply, watching Channel 4 weather and Steve Poole saying it's too fucking cold out, stay inside. Your weather schedule sure takes the bullshit out of the equation.

P.S. Have you done anything on DDD yet?

quote:

Originally posted by J Fisher:

Other than the "RFC" system, none of those look very simple. To convert C to F, double the temp in C, then add 30. Eg. 9 C x 2 +30 equals 48 F. This is never more than a couple degrees off. To convert F to C just reverse the process. (duh.)

Read the thread more carefully and you'll see that was my first reply. (and it's 32 not 30 as you state, as jon actually has the technically correct way to convert C to F)

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

to J fisher-

double and add 30 will give innacuracies for 40 C it's 6 degrees off

18/10 + 32 is the ratio

Yours is correct as well, simply another variation of jon's formula (18/10 is the same thing as 9/5, just that 9/5 is more correct since 18/10 is a reduceable fraction).

However... EV originally asked for a "SIMPLE" way for converting. I sincerely doubt he will carry a calculator with him while climbing. Hence, he already replied to me "that's what I was looking for".

Again, read more carefully. Peace.

Gimme a break Beck:

Who cares if it's 104degF or 110degF (40degC)! It's just too fucking hot!

Double plus 30 will tell you whether you need a mint julep or a parka, or rather, what order you'll need them it...

If you add 32 rather than 30, you will be less accurate for temperatures greater than 10degC, which are likely to be the one's you're chatting about anyways.

-t

tt-

I don't know where you hike, but I can't ever remember temps over 100 F in the mountains.

Even in the Cascades this time of year, temps average from around freezing (at night) to maybe 60's or 70's (on an exceptionally hot day). EV said he was heading north, probably to Canada where someone once explained this to him. Typically it gets colder the further north you go. And depending on his ultimate elevation, perhaps even colder.

I sincerely doubt that higher temps will be of concern to him. Hence 32 is more accurate for you bickering fellows.

EV - let us all know how it turns out and which is more accurate and easier to remember: 30 or 32 (which is not so coincidentally the temperature water freezes at and hence what the entire temperature rating systems, both C and F, are built upon).