Don Baars Passes Away

fgw

Donald Baars passed away at the age of 80 in Lawrence, KS on July 7th, 2008. Don was best known to the climbing community for his second ascent of St. Peters Dome in 1947 (by a new route) and the first ascent of Steins Pillar in 1950 both amazing accomplishments for their time. Don posted here on occasion as Don79.

I never met Don in person but have exchanged countless emails with him in the last 1-2 years. He was actively researching the climbing history in Oregon. Most recently, he co-authored an article (along with Jeff Thomas) on the climbing history of St. Peters Dome published in the 2007 Mazama Annual. He was always very encouraging of and interested in “adventure” type climbs around the PNW.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats too bad. I enjoyed him popping in here and giving us the odd history lesson here or there. Glad he got to say a few things to us all before his time.

Now for the part that sucks, when we see one of our bros step off, it reminds us that, ...well, ... that now we all have to take a step closer to the edge ourselves.

By Don, glad you were here. Hope to catch you again when my turn comes.

wise sir, do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones then indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone that will be his best and only bulwark