Tag-Line Size?

selkirk

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He used 5mm tech cord--high strength, low stretch--I used 5mm accessory cord last season and found it great when dry, total bullshit when wet...way to STREEETCHY and thin to really be able to pull your lead rope without lots of monkeying around. I'm bumping it up to 6mm now, so we'll see...

Depends the length and diameter of your ropes and actual practicality of what and where you are going to use it. I recently started a thread about this very subject. I fould out, at least for me, that a thin line isn't an advantage. I have a 70 meter 9.4 lead rope and I was thinking about matching that with a 6 or 7mm rap line. I also have double 8mm 60's that I normaly use when alpine climbing. It was obvious to me that the 70 meter (9.4 +6mm) and the twin 8mm 60 system weighed about the same. The only advantage was 10 meters which I find is not that much of an advantage. The disadvantage was screwing around with a small line when your rapping and tired and carring it in your pack. I think if you really want to cut weight and then go with a twin 7.5 system.

Edited by TimL

I'm pretty happy with my 7mm static as a second rap line, and as a tag line for aid stuff. YMMV.

FYI, even 7mm can be a pain in the arse in the wind, or if there are a lot of chicken heads (red rocks), so adjust accordingly.