Report Posted: Top-Rope Accident, Yosemite, 2007

knightrain

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheeite, this one had so much dumb written all over it that I found myself getting more and more pissed just reading as I knew what was coming!

Not that I don't error on occasion, but getting a partner like this (or these) is probly what scares me the most about climbing.

Glad it ended relatively well though.

An exercise I highly recommend for anyone involved in climbing/mountaineering/skiing but ESPECIALLY for those new to the sports is to get the last 15 yrs of Accidents in North American Mountaineering from the library, sit down SOBER, and read them in ONE SITTING. The common and repeated mistakes, patterns, missed warning signs etc. will become very clear. The non-issue safety police crises that people agonize over on the interweb should similarly become clear by their non-prominence in reports of actual accident causes.

That's a good recommendation Fern. It's been awhile since I've perused ANAM, but the one that stood out for me as most common, at least in the Northwest, was "slip on snow, failure to arrest."

I look forward to my new issue of ANAM like a kid looks forward to a visit from Santa Claus. I read it a few times, then put it aside. Then I pick up a few of my back issues and re-read them. It seems like there's always at least an issue or two floating around in my truck. Makes for great lunchtime reading, being as how they're sorta like a book of short stories...