Darrington area climbing

r.d. whit

I got a job working on mtn goat research based out of Darrington this summer, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for climbing in the area (within a couple hours)? I'd be interested in anything from bouldering to traditional routes. I haven't been in the area before so any information would be valuable.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the three or four major climbing areas in the Clear Creek/Copper Creek drainages, I'd recommend Three O'Clock Rock for your first visit. It's the easiest to get to and the easiest to get off of. It has a great variety of grades too.

Bring a standard rack and a lot of slings plus two ropes.

For those who may have bookmarked my site, I'm plan to completely move it and that seanet address will eventually go away. The new address is http://www.mattsea.com/Darr/ . For now I am keeping a copy at seanet.

There are a lot of different types of climbing in the area but the traditional Darrington granite-tending-toward-slab is best sampled on Exfoliation Dome, in my view. It is nowhere near as user-friendly as Three O'Clock Rock, though.