RIP Jim McKay

pindude

I remember as a young kid in the 60s, when I was home on Saturdays at 4 pm and not skiing or involved in some team sport activity, running inside to catch ABC's Wide World of Sports. Through that show, and other sports programs Jim McKay anchored, he introduced me to an incredible variety of outdoor activities and locations, some of which I've tried and/or traveled to. As a sportscaster, he humbly, simply, and effectively communicated what it was like to be involved in those activities. Some were obscure, and included:

* Acapulco cliff diving

* Vanuatu vine jumping (precursor to bungee jumping)

* Iditarod dog racing

* Olympics - skiing

* horse racing

* Little League World Series (I played Little League and other ball in Seattle) - who remembers underdog Kirkland finally beating Taiwan in the finals in the early 80s?

* rock climbing even - I missed this one: but my mom saw on WWOS someone climbing on Monkey Face, also in the 80s, and giving her a little more understanding of what I was into.

His voice was THE voice of sports through all of my life, and still resonates. Knowing he was a big thoroughbred racing fan, I'm surprised he didn't stay with us long enough to know how Big Brown did today.

To Jim McKay :brew:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic