Birds of Index

Yossarian

Anyone know what kind of falcons live on the index town walls? At first they appear to be peregrine but a little more brown in color. These birds provide exciting airshows for climbers as they attack the smaller birds on the cliff. Last time up an attack occured 50 feet away from my position halfway up the wall. They seem to be always around so I'm sure others have spotted them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the coolest pastimes while belaying my partner on a long aid pitch in the valley is watching the falcons dive bomb for their prey. Granted I have no idea what kind of birds they are but the speed they come flying down the wall is amazing. Several times I ducked because it sounded like rockfall was coming down, but it was just the birds. Anybody else have have experiences like this. Of course I stoped paying attention to the birds when my partner started to bring the Gameboy along.

I've enjoyed watching the crows flying around at Index- once I saw 3 of them take turns repeatedly attempting to fly upside down. Of course it doesn't work, and they end up tumbling and flapping all over the place, but they kept trying over and over, for no apparent reason. Maybe it's just fun...?

there is a pair of peregrine falcons at index that nest around the cheeks area (near as i can tell). this pair has fledged young off and on for a number of years. while the species was downgraded last year from "endangered" to a "species of concern" by the federal government, it remains on the state "endangered" species list and is also protected under the migratory bird act. they can be sensitive to human activity during their nesting period from march through the first part of july. it would behoove us climbers to give them a break during this period and avoid the cheeks area or wherever they may be nesting for the year. a voluntary restriction similar to that on midnight rock seems like a good idea to avoid conflicts with the powers that be (the state and feds). besides, relatively few people seem to climb near the cheeks anyway.