Bangladesh????

ken4ord

Anyone been there? There is a chance we might end up there, only thing I know is that I will considerably closer to Nepal and Tibet. The other thing is if sea levels rise one meter it will put 50% of the country underwater. Besides that I know very little of that country

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 20 years ago I was on a Royal Nepal flight that refueled there, and I was surprised to look out the window and see that they were using hand laborers to excavate and move dirt in the construction of a new terminal. I figured: hey, if they don't have a bulldozer at the national airport, they probably just plain don't have one. Then I went to Nepal and saw them using hammers to chip road-cuts and make gravel on the nations biggest "highway."

That is freaking crazy, same sort of stuff goes on around here. There are bulldozer around, but a lot of time it is cheaper to use manual labor, than it is bring the bulldozer to site and operate it. The one job that drives me crazy is the gravel making, that has to be the worst job ever sitting with a big making small rocks with a hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken4ord,

I spent 10 days there coming from India and heading on to Indonesia. This was about 18 years ago! However, I have to say they are definitely a third world country that has seen it's amount of political turmoil. They seem to have the worst weather and flooding with international aide that may often disappear into someone elses bank account.

Anyhow, the tallest place is called Kewkradong in Chattagong Province. There is some scattered rock climbing and mountain biking can be had. They are about 88% muslim and very kind and giving. Needless to say you are approaching the monsoon season that will last for several months - yuck! Not a good place to be.

I can email you more info. if you would like.

Teresa

Thanks Tokogirl, I just read up on Chittagong, I think I will definitely be in luck finding fun things to do up there. That area also very undeveloped even in undeveloped world standards. Yeah it seems we are time our move just perfectly for monsoon season, we should be there right in the middle of the season. When I was just in Thailand we had on day where it rained really hard in the afternoon and there was a foot / foot and half of water from that storm, I can't imagine what it is going to be like. I read an article that describes it as a giant toilet bowl being flushed, fun.

The folks I met were really glad to help out with transportation information, places to stay (they have some gov't accomidations similiar to DAK bungalows in India), or I stayed in a village with a family. They are excited that you want to see the land, countryside, and explore as they don't get much of a chance to travel.

Teresa

PS. Let me know how your trip is! teresa@tokous.com

i spent a few months there in 95. not a place i would recommend for anyone's vacation. you can get almost anything there if you grease the right palm. And if you travel anywhere outside of the larger cities than take your own TP. it wont be available.

i spent a few months there in 95. not a place i would recommend for anyone's vacation. you can get almost anything there if you grease the right palm. And if you travel anywhere outside of the larger cities than take your own TP. it wont be available.
I have found you always take your own TP no matter where you travel. I don’t keep my wallet in my back pocket, but rather I roll up a bunch of TP around my hand and stuff it in my back pocket.

And yes, someone did pick my pocket of TP before; now that was a crapy situation.