• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Hendershot

Kong Frog

Did you get this from a Alpinist reader blog? If so you should know it not a new invention at all. When I saw the blog entry I first thought it was a Alpinist article and was tempted to write them complaining about their poor quality control..then I realized it was a reader blog.

BTW - The past few articles I looked at in the Alpinist had basic errors. I just scan the mag but wonder just thow good their QC is.

Yeah, that is where I found it. So it is a spoof? Crap. Someone else told me guilible was taken out of the dictionary and I went to check.

yeah, these have been out for several years, at least.

kind of gimmicky.

Although one advantage is supposed to be the ability to use a locking biner on it so that you never have to worry about unclipping or open-gate loading, I've never see it as advantageous for that purpose.

The thing that will occasionally make this useful is that you can get a few extra inches of reach out of it if you're trying to clip a hard-to-reach bolt.

These have been out at least 9 or 10 years and have never been popular in all that time.

I was told by one of the last of the Squamish Big Wall Hardmen that with the sling taped into rigidity they make a handy micr0 cheaterstick option for clipping the next copperhead while topstepping.

No spoof they have just been around for many years... the Alpinist blog makes them look new.

Kong Frog: Advancement in Quickdraw Technology or Just A Small Stick Clip?

Pete Donnely / May 1

When I saw an ad for the new Kong Frog quickdraw, I couldn't help but laugh. It looks like a glorified mini-stick clip.

I found and bought one about 6yrs ago for the hell of it. Turned to be a piece of crap, which is kind of what I thought it would be but it looked too cool. My buddy took a fall on it first day out and really put a notch right in the two little hooks forming the top clip. Sure didn't seem like something anybody would want after that not to mention if you grabbed the top part it would unclip the draw!

I've since stripped the biner and the rest of the draw sits in the bottom of my excess gear bin.

I have one in my bucket of aid gear that I rarely use anymore...

It's a mini stickclip. You can sort of half cock it and have a hair trigger action.