Kong Frog

Hendershot

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get this from a Alpinist reader blog? If so you should know it not a new invention at all. When I saw the blog entry I first thought it was a Alpinist article and was tempted to write them complaining about their poor quality control..then I realized it was a reader blog.

BTW - The past few articles I looked at in the Alpinist had basic errors. I just scan the mag but wonder just thow good their QC is.

yeah, these have been out for several years, at least.

kind of gimmicky.

Although one advantage is supposed to be the ability to use a locking biner on it so that you never have to worry about unclipping or open-gate loading, I've never see it as advantageous for that purpose.

The thing that will occasionally make this useful is that you can get a few extra inches of reach out of it if you're trying to clip a hard-to-reach bolt.

These have been out at least 9 or 10 years and have never been popular in all that time.

I was told by one of the last of the Squamish Big Wall Hardmen that with the sling taped into rigidity they make a handy micr0 cheaterstick option for clipping the next copperhead while topstepping.

No spoof they have just been around for many years... the Alpinist blog makes them look new.

Kong Frog: Advancement in Quickdraw Technology or Just A Small Stick Clip?

Pete Donnely / May 1

When I saw an ad for the new Kong Frog quickdraw, I couldn't help but laugh. It looks like a glorified mini-stick clip.

I found and bought one about 6yrs ago for the hell of it. Turned to be a piece of crap, which is kind of what I thought it would be but it looked too cool. My buddy took a fall on it first day out and really put a notch right in the two little hooks forming the top clip. Sure didn't seem like something anybody would want after that not to mention if you grabbed the top part it would unclip the draw!

I've since stripped the biner and the rest of the draw sits in the bottom of my excess gear bin.