Google Map of Washington Ski Tours

erikhenne

Going through my back country ski books, I always wished there was a better way to visualize where each tour was located in relation to one another. So I began marking tours in a Google map with the line feature.

I had so much fun I plotted all the tours from the books by Burgdorfer, Volken and Blair (are there any other books that I don't know about?)

The map can be found at: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104533212117189621673.00044a0d630607854b54a

I hope you enjoy the map as much as I did making it and please share it with your friends.

Erik Henne

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool map. You might send it to the folks at the Wilderness Coalition who are trying to compile a database of recreational assets including back country ski tours and climbing areas. I'm sure there are lots of good tours not on there - including a few of my favorites - but that would be a good start for them.

PM me if you're interested; d I'll provide an address.

Erik, very nice, thanks. How long did that take? I haven't played with Google Maps or Earth much, but am wondering how easy it would be to layer the same info on Google Earth.

Have a great weekend, where ever you're headed with your skis.

Matt, thanks for note of that project. Am presuming they would be interested as well in eastern WA, ID, MT, OR.

Edited by pindude

pindude-

When you are viewing it in GoogleMaps, there is a button that says "View in Google Earth". For some reason my system saves it as an .xml file, but if I rename it as a .kml file, then it opens right up in Google Earth. So... I'd say it would take about 45 seconds to get all that info into GE. :D I would attach the file, but I can't seem to find that option anymore.

Doh! Guess I was in too much of a hurry to run off and socialize on a Friday night. Yup, the button's right there, no attached file needed. Indeed it only takes about 45 seconds for my PC to do it's stuff, but sometimes my brain takes longer. :crosseye:

Pretty cool. Those google boys really have it goin on. I better get to bed: sun and spring corn await in just a few hours...

:moondance::rawk::moondance:

All I get when I try that is a map of North America centered on the Midwest????

After Google Earth opens up, try zooming in on western WA: that's what I had to do. If Erik's routes aren't there, then perhaps you should update to the latest GE version. Good luck.

BTW, snow got real wet here on the east side today, making for a little bit of work, but the turns, sun, and near 70 temp's cured all ails. Spring has sprung!