new arc'teryx harness

Matt Kidd

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have an X350A. Used it for the first time last week for 4 days of mostly sport climbing at Vantage.

Good points - very comfortable and light. Gear loops hold a fair amount of gear, significantly more than a Petzl Corax.

Bad points - price, super weak haul loop (if you can even call it that, more like a chalk bag clip loop!) and very awkward to use drop seat.

Overall, probably not the best wall harness but highly recommended (based on my somewhat limited use) for applications less dependent on having a good haul loop and drop seat. I'm curious to see how long it holds up, as most of my dead bird gear has been really durable as compared to other brands.

They look pretty sexy; I've been wondering about the non-adjustable leg loops. I've only owned a harness that had adjustable leg loops. Do you ever wish they were adjustable? Would you be able to wear it over thicker clothing, like for alpine climbing, or is that a good reason to get the alpine version?

I've never had any problems using my non-adjustable for ice/alpine etc.

Before I bought mine (r320), I emailed Arcteryx about the haul loop, since it definitely seems pretty flimsy. This is how they replied:

"Thank you for your interest in ARC'TERYX. The Haul Loop is not made for anchoring, belaying or rappelling from but it was tested to hold atleast a person's body weight. (up to 400 lbs) A plastic loop was used to discourage it being used other than a haul loop. Replacing the plastic haul loop with a metal one, it won't increase the strength of it."

Overall I'm pretty happy with mine. I haven't used it in the mountains yet, but have done long multi-pitch at Red Rocks, offwidth climbing in Moab (yuck!), and sport climbing and it's been super comfy throughout. Very unobtrusive and easily packable.

A few gripes include the flimsy haul loop (why not a slightly beefier one?). Also, be sure to check the size. I have a 28-30" waist and the men's small is only just small enough if I cinch it down all of the way...smaller waist and I'd probably check out the women's version. This is my first harness with non-adjustable leg loops and they're sometimes a little snug but haven't had any problems fitting layers underneath.

Not sure if any of this helps. Cheers.

I'm surprised that they've sold out. I thought the price would put people off but all over the message boards people are really excited about them. Of course people on message boards tend to be :nurds: who like that kind of stuff. They're 50% more than the next most expensive harness which is really nice as well. I'm not convinced that the increase in performance warrants the price.

I find it really comfy and the leg loops being un adjustable is not a problem for me, however it wont be used for ice.

Price didnt seem like an issue to me whats not a 100 bucks these days but i suppose if your on a budget cheaper is better

That Hirundo sure looks like a strong contender at beating it though..the buckle system is by far superior and its lighter and cheaper...however the packable size of the arcteryx is amazing..so will see how the r320 stands up through the summer, so far so good