Red Rocks Campground?

powderhound

I stayed in a gravel pit campground in the early 90's that I thikn is now closed. It was way better than the current BLM site, but I can understand why they can't keep the dirtbag lot open. Too bad. I pretty much don't go to RR because I don't feel like dealing with the issue.

To me, it's funny how (generalizations here) climbers incorporate into their "brand" an element dirtbagdom: living in your van off a food bank bagel is THE SHIT! And this comes in such direct conflict with "The Man's Plan". Federal workerd are really between a rock and a hard place when it comes to recreation management (yeah, they got themselves there but that's the agency as a whole, not the employees.) It seems like of all the user groups I'm part of (hikers, mtb's, climbing, conservationists, etc...), I hear the most whining about the rudeness of campground hosts from the climbers. And it's no wonder host can be testy: climbers are dicks.

you mean those of us that actually still sleep on the ground in tents vs the insinuated non-complaining fucking idiots that pull up in their RV, never set foot out unless it is to adjust their satellite dish. and by dicks do you mean complaining because the "hosts" ask you 3 times a day what your plans are and when you are going to pay 8 minutes after you pull-in, do not do anything to actually enforce noise violations by dumb-ass high schoolers partying at 3 a.m., bitch because there happens to be 3 cars in your site while you have lunch,not to mention selling you firewood at the low, low costs of $7 for a bundle of about 6 sticks, in addition to generally just having an attitude and disdain for anyone who is not of the dipshit RV mentality like themselves??? if that is what you meant then i will continue to always abe a 'dick.' so enjoy your room service, RV, or whatever way you go. the less people out in the campground the better.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had real good luck with walking out to meet the host people, with a smile and a greeting that indicates right away I am ready to pay. They immediately turn from grim-faced bitter old codgers to friendly gram and gramps.

Though I know it may be difficult for you young-stud pathfinders to visualize, think about what it must be like to be those campground host types. Grimly determined to not let some damn deadbeat kids weasel out of paying the fee, knowing these strong young men could fuck with you and get miles away before any police support shows, you exit your golf cart, and enter their realm. None of them will look at you and to a man they all pretend you're not even there until you're standing right on top of one of them tapping his shoulder.

When you ask for payment, they get all put out, like it was never suggested that they should have to pay for this campsite. Then they mutter and bitch about the high price and low quality of the campsite. Finally, when it is clear that they can't just wait you out and that money will have to change hands, they take all day wringing it out of each other.

"dude I paid for the beer"

"but I got the ice yesterday"

"you got change for a twenty?"

...etc.

Once they finally pay up for last night, you ask them what their plans are for the coming night. They shift around and mutter about "not sure, see what's up", obviously merely avoiding the opportunity to pay in advance. "Great", you sarcastically mutter inside your head, "I'll get to do this again tomorrow morning."

I'll bet the hosts get real tired of that shit. You might say that the hosts took the job and knew what they were getting into; which may be true, but there's nothing in the job description that requires them to be happy-friendly with people being jerks.

I'm not saying anyone in this thread has been a jerk, but I know that plenty of low-money campers regularly partake in the above scene (myself included). It probably gets pretty old for the hosts and could explain their bitchiness.

So, like I indicated in the opening of this post, disarm grouchy hosts by walking out to meet them (so they don't have to invade your site, or leave the comfort of their golf cart). Quickly make it clear that you intend to pay the contracted fee, right now. I've found something like, "what's the damage?" while pulling out my wallet, works well. Just make a little effort and you can avoid paying for a bunch of other people's mistakes.