Jim Hill/Arrowhead Parking Restriction

telemarker

On a super fun tour of Jim Hill Mtn. today, Kyle Flick and I noted signs prohibiting parking where I've normally parked for the past 4 years, the huge pull-out by the DOT garage. This parking provides very convenient access to these two excellent tours. Now, the best option is a mile west or east. We parked at the SP Nordic Center, and skinned back east. Part of that path puts one just above Hiway 2, eastbound. And there are a couple parts where if one lost an edge on the ice, you're landing on the hiway.

So, my beef is, why restrict parking in such a large pull-out? The options now are a bit dangerous, either skinning above the hiway or walk it.

There's room for the plows to turn around, and still allow cars to park up against the snow bank.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DOT is pretty much systematically posting every parkable spot between about Skykomish and Cole's corner as "No Parking"

And then there's the inane No HItchhiking zone between Yodelin and Tunnel Creek.

I think the time's past due for some concerted lobbying effort to bring pressure to reverse these situations. I'm willing to put time and effort into that if there's interest.

I bet two things are going on here:

1. I think the DOT wants to keeps pullout open for emergency vehicles and "let your kid puke/I've got a flat tire/I just poured hot coffee on my lap" type parking/pulling over: short term, not in the way of the plows. As to why for the last four years and not now, I bet it's a combo of lost patience and an increase in the number of "long term" parkers.

2. I think it's been discussed here before, but I didn't put my two cents in the first time. Hitchhiking on Stevens pass when there is no shoulder, on a blind corner, than nearly always has water (sometimes ice...), on a corner posted at 60 (warned to 45?) sems like a bad idea. It's siomply a matter of safety. A skier may be willing to take that risk, but the state/DOT are authorized (and in my opinion reasonable) to say "too dangerous".

I bet two things are going on here:

1. I think the DOT wants to keeps pullout open for emergency vehicles and "let your kid puke/I've got a flat tire/I just poured hot coffee on my lap" type parking/pulling over: short term, not in the way of the plows. As to why for the last four years and not now, I bet it's a combo of lost patience and an increase in the number of "long term" parkers.

I know you're just guessing at DOT's reasoning, but I don't buy this explanation, as the pull-out is ample to accommodate any emergency piss or puke break. Even on a perfect powder day, I've never experienced more than 5 or 6 cars parked in that area.

Just showing a possible contradiction in beliefs. It is ok for the DOT to have the power to say what happens on public roads but the ski patrol doesn't have it on public lands. They are both experts in their fields and both are looking out for the welfare of the public.

The (granted, subtle) difference is the DOT is authorized to say what happens on the road, the ski patrol is granted the authority to say what happens ->within the ski area <-... Again, I'll admit this is something of a nitpick... and a diversion from the original topic. Sorry.

Straying a bit from the original topic maybe, but the ski patrol (and ski area management) do have the say over what happens in the area under their jurisdiction...in this case within the ski area boundary. They can close portions of the area for a number of reasons and yank the tickets or trespass those who violate those closures.

Those powers end at the area boundary. Except for specified areas and reasons there is no preclusion from the general public being on FS land anywhere at any time.

To me the thing that is being violated by access and parking restrictions along US2 is the sense of what the highway is for.

I believe US 2 should maintained as a road where one along which one may walk or bike safely and be allowed numerous areas to pull off and...recreate...for lack of a better word.

Exactly, and truthfully I wouldn't really care if they closed parking along the hiway if it were in the middle of nowhere. But obviously, this pullout has allowed easy access to two classic ski tours for some time now. We're left to either walk the roadway, or skin along the side of it. It's as if they arbitrarily decided to restrict parking without any input. Was there a public hearing on this prior? Does this restriction end as soon as the snow melts?

No public hearing I'm aware of. Such things generally fall under administrative decisions and powers delegated somewhere in the RCWs and are rumored locally to have floated north from somewhere in Olympia.

No Parking at the fan house (Jim Hill) is pretty much a non-issue when the snow melts since there's nothing people do there when the snow melts.

The no pedestrians/no hitchhiking thing from Tunnel Creek to Yodelin seems to be a winter only thing.

No public hearing I'm aware of. Such things generally fall under administrative decisions and powers delegated somewhere in the RCWs and are rumored locally to have floated north from somewhere in Olympia.

No Parking at the fan house (Jim Hill) is pretty much a non-issue when the snow melts since there's nothing people do there when the snow melts.

The no pedestrians/no hitchhiking thing from Tunnel Creek to Yodelin seems to be a winter only thing.

I spoke with a DOT official yesterday, and he stated that they closed off parking at the East Portal due to, "Railroad workers and DOT plows not being able to get their jobs done." He stated they were not obligated to hold a public hearing on the closure, and chose not to. Really, I guess it's no big deal, as the skin to the trailhead isn't that bad. But I've never seen that parking area overrun with skiers' vehicles. Ever. Even on the best of days.

It would be nice to have just a Mon. thru Fri. closure, and no overnight parking.