100 greatest guitar solo's

kevbone

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure how Cobain got on there... twice. I do love a good Neil Young one note solo OTOH.

That's what you get for a reader compiled list I guess.

Live solos are far more meaningful than recorded ones. The fine line between shred wankery and soulful wankery always makes for amusing arguments. How many notes per second are you allowed before it loses it's soul?

I had a hell of a time with Ace Frehley's Rock'n'Roll All Night solo on Guitar Hero III.

So now I'm looking at the actual list, as compared to just the cc.com spray excerpt.

- Nice to see Martin Barre get a nod, Aqualung was a guitar hero of an album

- Funny that Neil Young doesn't make an appearance until #39 for Cortez The Killer. While hardly the most technical fellow, his lines and sound are so signature and lyrical, you can't mistake him for anyone else. I'd plug Like A Hurricane or Tonight's the Night ahead of this cut, if only because the lyrics are so hysterically historically inaccurate.

- Steve Howe, there's a prog rock trouper I've forgotten about, good song though as far as my mysteriously fuzzed out memory recalls

- Clapton is the most overrated player on the planet. Consider the signature solo pieces on his best song Layla are by Allman on slide and whatever that guy was on piano, his most popular pieces Cocaine and I Shot The Sheriff are covers, and most of Mr Slowhand's work is readily replicated by third rate wannabes at blues jams across the country

- Not necessarily the Hendrix cuts I'd have picked, but there's ample homage to the man, as with Stevie Ray.

- Surfing with the Alien should get higher marks, it's such a propulsive lyrical line, speaks volumes with nary a word in sight.

- Is Metallica really all that and a bag of nuts? I've always thought they were sort of boring, but Kirk Hammet sure gets a frisky BJ out of this list.