What is in Nikwax Tech Wash?

jon

WAY 2 GO REI!!!

thank for selling McNett boat cleaner, and for not selling McNett Revivex. what nikwax pay you for dat?

Mountain Gear carries the entire line of McNett products.

Many of the smaller climbing shops with more experienced staff stock these as well. For example: American Alpine Institute, Backcountry Essentials, Feathered Friends, Pro Mountain Sports, Oregon Mountain Community...

Boot waterproofing is inherently difficult because kicking steps in crusty, abrasive snow will quickly wear off a waxy surface coating (such as NikWax) or any surface DWR. The McNett/Revivex gel penetrates and disappears down into the material instead of just coating the surface.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sense a sudden impulse purchase of like 5 of their products.... must... not... click!!!

I'm really excited to try their leather & fabric waterproofer for my boots. Nikwax is pure garbage in that realm. I am so diligent in being liberal and thorough, and it works for a couple miles in snow, but after that I risk getting trench foot.

Dude, I have had the same exact experience. I spend over an hour rubbing the shit in

(the stuff that comes in the tube and looks like earwax), even in those hard to get places where the leather meets the sole. It seemed to last about a day and a half on Rainier last year before my toes were soaked. And mind you, while we did go through some scree, it wasn't much. (Kautz Route) Maybe it was the ice? The only other possibility is foot sweat, but sweaty toes before the rest of the foot?

Dude, I have had the same exact experience. I spend over an hour rubbing the shit in

(the stuff that comes in the tube and looks like earwax), even in those hard to get places where the leather meets the sole. It seemed to last about a day and a half on Rainier last year before my toes were soaked. And mind you, while we did go through some scree, it wasn't much. (Kautz Route) Maybe it was the ice? The only other possibility is foot sweat, but sweaty toes before the rest of the foot?

The nikwax I use doesn't look like earwax... well, not my earwax at least. I'd say it looks more like skim milk. Probably works as well too.

I use my boots very often in no-snow conditions & never experience significant wetness from sweat. The boot-puddle so far has a perfect correlation with wet snow deep enough to contact the upper. My socks are dry at the ankle, so it's not from snow coming in the top either.

The nikwax I use doesn't look like earwax... well, my not earwax at least. I'd say it looks more like skim milk. Probably works as well too.

I use my boots very often in no-snow conditions & never experience significant wetness from sweat. The boot-puddle so far has a perfect correlation with wet snow deep enough to contact the upper. My socks are dry at the ankle, so it's not from snow coming in the top either.

Okay, foot sweat is ruled out. yeah I guess wet snow is when it is the worst. Ah, the skim milk stuff I believe is for synthetic leathers. Does it come out of a bottle with a foam pad on top? The earwax stuff is for full-grain leather and is simply in a large toothpaste-like tube. I've had even less success with the skim milk stuff. IT only seemed to last for a few hours or less. At least I get a good day or two out of the earwax stuff.

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! All of this praise heaped upon ReviveX has caused me to rethink my DWR re-treatment priorities. And to think that all I thought was available in the land was Nikwax.

How blind I have been not to realize that there are those on this board who are so wise in the ways of science.

05_bedev.jpg

Well thanx Dru, that was a really introspective post. Do you ever pause long enough to ponder the fact that perhaps there are those of us that have more important things in our lives to think about other than what DWR treatment we purchase? I have to tell you, that one hasn't been very high on my priority list lately. Things like how to pay the $3700 ER bill for fishing a quarter out of my daughters esophagus, what to do with a much-loved one-eyed cat that is now going blind in his remaining eye, and how to make my marriage better seem to be occupying my thoughts right now. But please, do carry on. :rolleyes:

All the DWR guys have a wash and a DWR restorer. Arc'teryx, AFAIK, used to go with Revivex but recently have switched to Grainger's. I used spray on Revivex for my softshell-XCR hybrid and it worked well on the softshell part but not so well on the XCR. May have been the way I did it though.

Revivex and Grainger's are more similar and need heat to bind the coating to the fibers. Nikwax uses a different chemical that isn't as heat activated dependent. Based on my research Nikwax is a less effective product but YMMV.

Spray on is more appropriate for softshells with a wicking liner and wash-ins are recommended for membrane type garments.