Stop PMing me with bung pics, FW

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for some people, evolution is something to believe in, but for others, it is something to be understood, and tested. The fact that many have a primitive understanding of a subject shouldn't cast aspersions on the validity of a theory.

nice post, and agreed.

I'd add that for some, religion can be understood in the same way: So for some people, religion is something to believe in, but for others, it is something to be understood, and tested.

So for some people, evolution is something to believe in, but for others, it is something to be understood, and tested. The fact that many have a primitive understanding of a subject shouldn't cast aspersions on the validity of a theory.

nice post, and agreed.

I'd add that for some, religion can be understood in the same way: So for some people, religion is something to believe in, but for others, it is something to be understood, and tested.

How do you test religion? You can test faith. People like to take pride in their unshakeable faith. Looked at from another angle you can call it stubborness.

How do you test religion? You can test faith. People like to take pride in their unshakeable faith. Looked at from another angle you can call it stubborness.

the word "religion" i think is rather vague, where even the etymology of the word seems unagreed upon.

but, would you call buddhism a religion? again, i would say that it commonly gets "used" as a "religion" (like evolution), in that you have many who "believe", without even knowing what the buddha taught specifically. but when one gets past the flowery prose and (pretty neat) aphorisms, one can start to realize that this "religion" is really a psychology of sorts, very weak on any requirement to "believe", but high on a requirement to experiment with certain approaches and SEE PERSONALLY what the results are. there is nothing in the more central esoteric teachings that seem to require a "belief", beyond a willingness to experience and experiment, but of course this does nothing at keeping the average humanoid from worshipping the buddha as a "god". (there are more esoteric christian teachings that approach this, but are considered heretical by the main church body, probably historically because they threatened the authority of the church, and today because of fear and orthodoxy; can you imagine people like seahawks and vertical hiker opening their minds to anything contrarian to their beliefs, when the penalty is eternal damnation? whew).

sufism (heretical to the muslim orthodoxy) is another good example where experience of the "divine" over-rides an inflexible need to cling to orthodoxy.

i'd say "become christ", not a follower. become buddha, not a follower (oh the heresy!!!).