Excel Geek Question

JayB

New question

How do I format the top row (or rows) to be a header so that when I scroll down the top row stays put (so I can keep seeing the variable labels)?

Select the whole row below the one you want to keep as a header and then select Windows > freeze panes

you can only freeze one set at the top or side, but not both at the same time which kinda sucks

Edit: oops; looked right past trogdors post

Edited by Reid

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, the rnd function is total crap. if you need a random number generator, don't use rnd()...

when has the RAND() function failed you? Excel 2003 and newer has a revised random number generator algorithm. Even the old algorithm was sufficient for probably 99.9%+ of all users.

Yes, tell us what the problem is.

Well, have you ever done a scatterplot/analysis of 10,000 rand() outputs? I honestly haven't used Excel past 2003, so maybe it's better -- it's trivial enough to make them all positive -- but in 2003 and before it's just a terrible random number generator if you're doing any kind of simulation or light modeling. When there's money on the line (financial / risk modeling) and you have to do it in excel, I just wouldn't trust or use that random generator...

I used faure sequence psuedo randoms for small models, it's easy to program and works much better. If you're generating 5k+ randoms, then just do rand*rand*rand*rand*rand*rand*rand and that will be as good as it gets without sacrificing computational speed and efficiency.