calouses and flappers

ken4ord

So it seems whenever I get into bouldering (or gym climbing, bascally climbing on plastice) quite regularly, I develop calouses just below the first joint. I tried to shave them down, I have tried pumice stone and lotions, but nothing seems to keep them from forming. I wouldn't mind it, but they end getting thick 2-3mm thick, which then it becomes somewhat painful to grip the holds. Eventually it leads to a flapper, which most of you know how pleasant that is.

* So any of you have the same issue when climbing plastic?

* If so what do you do for preventative maintenance?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Cross Fit we do lots of pullups and lots of work on parallettes and parallel bars. So, lots of calluses right there where you describe. I find that sanding and cutting down the calluses works for me. But, when you rip one, we use Super Glue to stick it back in place. It stings like hell for a second but Super Glue was originally invented by a surgeon specifically to glue together surgical wounds. (the kind you buy at retail stores is cooled down, the real McCoy is ‘way more adhesive and cures much faster)

Obviously that’s not a solution to the root problem but maybe it can help you.