Foot Stuff..

dmuja

So Im looking for a bit of advice/education if anyone wishes to share some..

My Right foot =

Normal to high arch. (via foot print image observation)

Progressing Bunion on large toe big joint (the usual place).

Pain on Ball of foot, and also thru the length of second toe.

My Left Foot =

Low to Flat arch.

Pain in/below/around large outside ankle bone.

Ankle sprains reoccurring always in the same place, namely (in/below/around large outside ankle bone).

--

Problems increase the more I train/hike/climb. I tried rest, but the issues just return the more I train/hike/climb. My feeling is that long periods in narrow constricting climbing shoes might be part of the issue - an untreated bunion might be part of the issue - some kind of "pronation-supination" might be part of the issue. Ive tried "SuperFeet" (Orange) but the RF metatarsalgia (ball of foot pain) gets worse with them for some reason.

At this point, I guess I'm mostly interested in what and how to get or make the correct orthotic type inserts or insoles. Being that each foot has different issues, I don't see how one type of insert could correct all the issues.

For example, would I want a higher arched insert on my left foot and a lower arch insert on my right?

What might help stop the LF ankle sprains from reoccurring? More (deeper) heel cups? Who/what/where? (BTW, Theyve only occurred when running on smooth surfaces in "running" shoes - cheap cross trainers actually - never on rough terrain). I don't think much of the gel cushions that role your ankle off and offer no stabilizing support imo.

So, any thoughts or suggestions? - especially on the best insoles/inserts would be cool.

Thanks yooz

D

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the "superfeet" the one with the little triangle pad under the ball of the foot? If so, that's the one that makes my foot numb - pushes on nerves.

With feet this bad (nothing personal) I think that retail insoles won't work.

Two thoughts on store-bought - get the thickest heat-mold insole you can get and either

1 - follow the directions, set it in your shoe and stand as flat-footed as you can (common).

2 - after inserting in shoe just cinch up your laces and sit with about 25% of your weight on the sole (gives slightly higher arch support).

BUT if it were me, I'd spend some money and go to a foot doc and get some REAL orthotics custom carved and molded under a variety of tests and conditions to make sure it is what you really need and that it does what it is supposed to in action, not just in the chair in the office.

Some scamming docs will just look at your feet, measure, then pull one off the shelf and tell you to come back tomorrow after it is customized (and it won't be).

So ask around at support groups for aging runners - they eat orthotics for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Good luck.

make sure you see someone who is well recommended. I would really suggest seeing a Physical Therapist and or Mikey Layton before you do anything else. what i have found is that figuring out the root cause helps decided what to do and how best to proceed. for me the issue is in my hips. I may never be pain free but i understand the pain and where it comes from and that is helping me learn to live around it.

Go to a bonafide podiatrist. Marylou is right, it's gonna cost some $$ to get a "real" pair of orthodics made. But maybe you don't need them - you might need surgery to correct the bunion. Your guess on the footwear being the culprit is probably right. As a chiropractor, I could probably help, but not fix the bunion problem. If $$ is a big issue, go to Super-Jock-and-Jills in Capitol Hill for some advice on the best running shoe for you.

I got some custom orthos from a pod. and my insurance covers some but total cost was like 350, and they do the trick. Problem with the superfeet and alike is they can work for some but not most. Flat, med arch is just one part of feet, I will spare you the tech terms but some feet have a tilt to them that basic insoles do not account for. As for running shoes go to a good store like Mike suggested but if you have an ortho you will want to stick to a neutral shoe, you will get the stability you need from your ortho, a roomy toe box is good too, it mimics the hole running barefoot this and lets your toes spread like they should.

I got some custom orthos from a pod. and my insurance covers some but total cost was like 350, and they do the trick. Problem with the superfeet and alike is they can work for some but not most. Flat, med arch is just one part of feet, I will spare you the tech terms but some feet have a tilt to them that basic insoles do not account for. As for running shoes go to a good store like Mike suggested but if you have an ortho you will want to stick to a neutral shoe, you will get the stability you need from your ortho, a roomy toe box is good too, it mimics the hole running barefoot this and lets your toes spread like they should.

Ditto that cost; it's about what I spent on mine.

My podiatrist also referred me to a good running shop in my area that watches you run, and puts you in a shoe that fits your foot stride. That alone was a big step in my recovery.

Good luck, hope your feet get better.

I did not care for my padatrist much.he made some custom orthos for me. they are alright but i don't notice any more difference with those than i do with well fit well made shoes. however he did send me to a great physical therapist who did watch me walk and sent me to a running shoe store for better shoes that help me keep things in line. i have had to slow down everything i do to walk and hike with more percision.

man i thought i was slow before :blush:

Thanks much for the responses. I don't yet feel to the point of needing surgery, however, due to the metatarsalgia (ball of foot pain) I was 'limping' out from Washington pass last trip once we got down on the flat trail (flat smooth terrain sucks). I may end up getting custom orthotics after all. Recommendations on a good sports oriented podiatrist in Seattle are much appreciated too.

BTW a good set of custom FOs is made from actual plaster casts they make of your feet. That's part of why they are so 'spensive.

yep thats what i got. i just don't care for them. i think it is like everything else in what works for me may not work for someone else. i thing the best thing is to know what the options are.

It takes a long time to adjust to FOs the first time you own them. Also what they are made of makes a big difference and varies from person to person. The QUALITY of FOs can vary a lot too. I've been a lab rat for the UW orthotics students for several years now and have gotten to try just about every material available to make FOs, and see a wide range of methods/approaches. These students are very close to graduation, so it's close to what they will be making in practice.

my doc only billed for 100 for the plast. molds, not much money. Alot of angst.. There are some people out there that make custom orthos for runner or cyclist that are da shit but I dont know the west side at all. But there was someone on here talking about a guy last year that is great over there and cost 200

• 4 months later...

I wear custom orthotics in my running and hiking shoes, but they are too bulky to use in my rock shoes. I bought a pair of Spenco orthotic insoles at REI for $28. They are 3/4 length and have a solid plastic arch support with a black closed cell neoprene foam pad on top. I cut them down with a utility knife to fit my rock shoes. They seem to work in the 5.10 Spires, but probably wouldn't work in my Anasazi slippers.

I took perhaps 3/8" off each side of the insole to make it work. I am curious as to whether anyone else has tried an insole in a rock shoe. I had to do this. The two hours I spend in the gym without the support is enough to cause serious heel pain.

Edited by catbirdseat

I am curious as to whether anyone else has tried an insole in a rock shoe. I had to do this. The two hours I spend in the gym without the support is enough to cause serious heel pain.

Yes, I do it alot, anytime Im "practice" climbing. I save all my old insole/inserts from all my shoes and cut them to fit in my rock shoes - mainly the front half/ball of foot. Basically, I have re-thunk every thing I was told about rock shoes and I now over size them majorly for comfort and so I can insole them and wear socks also. Fuck if i could figure a way to put 'pons on them I might try it. If your goal is to star in "Rock and Ice" or whatever or to push your gym/crag numbers then "form-fit" them til your toes fall off - not for me. Personally, I just practice climb so I can climb in the mountains.