Modify tool swing

hafilax

In reading reviews of ice tools especially in comparing the Viper to the Quark I've noticed that the Viper detractors dislike the lighter swing weight. Has anyone here experimented with adding weight to the tool head to modify the swing characteristics?

I've also read that BD picks tend to get stuck in the ice with the factory design and that many file them to remedy this. What exactly does one do to the pick to make it clear easier?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also read that BD picks tend to get stuck in the ice with the factory design and that many file them to remedy this. What exactly does one do to the pick to make it clear easier?

What Selkirk said for sure, along with: Bevel the sides of the pick's teeth for the first 1.5", and dull the tips of the teeth a bit. This'll make it much easier to disengage the teeth from the ice. This made all the difference with the BD picks I've had.

And what Andy Kirkpatrick says: http://www.psychovertical.com/?winterbooster

Edited by Marko

In reading reviews of ice tools especially in comparing the Viper to the Quark I've noticed that the Viper detractors dislike the lighter swing weight. Has anyone here experimented with adding weight to the tool head to modify the swing characteristics?

I think there are pros and cons to either. More head weight will likely make it easier to swing. Remember, though, you are carrying that weight all the way up the climb with you. In the end you MAY become more tired. Lighter wieght/headweight is obvoiusly the opposite - you need to put more force into the swing, but you have less weight to carry up the climb.

I found this drawing online which might make it a bit more clear for you: pick shapes

It comes from this webpage, which I havent read through but though the sketch was good. Ice Picks/Modification

Hope that helps.

Im not sure if you are looking for your first set of tools or thinking about new ones. If thats the case, do a search and there are PLENTY of opinions hashed and rehashed both on this site and many others. Also, get out to some ice festivals and give some different ones a try or ask others you are climbing with or around if you can give theirs a swing.

I'm thinking about getting into ice climbing. A few of my friends keep trying to get me into it.

I'm a bit of an info junkie so I read and have read everything I could find on ice tools and ice climbing in general. I've read many mentions of modifying picks but most left it at being a personal thing so I thought I'd see what people do around here.

Everyone seems to like the Charlet and Grivel swing and a few seem to hate BD saying they are too light. I was curious if it was purely a head weight preference that could be trimmed out with a little ingenuity. I read one review from a carpenter couple who found the BD Viper to swing much like their work hammers making it a natural fit. I guess I've been attracted to the BD price point and curious about why those that hate them feel that way. Opinions on BD tools are very polar.

I'll probably go out with my friends and try their tools at first (Quarks mostly). I may have the opportunity to go to Ouray over Xmas so I might give it a whirl there. We'll see.

You're on the right track; go out and climb with other's tools, then make the decision for yourself. Info gathering is great, and useful, but go out and put in some laps and that will really settle your decision.

Good luck, have fun (from a Quark owner)

Cheers,

Chad