Pasta

i_like_sun

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like making homemade peroghi's, stuffed with a little potato, cheese, and onion. They freeze well, too, so you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor for a long time to come.

Do you have a recipe you prefer?

I want to try making some momo's this winter. But thats more of a dumpling than pasta.

Pasta Rosa with fresh grated parmesan and LOTs of garlic and fresh basil from the garden.

Bowtie pasta with a whole head of garlic and a dab or two of olive oil. Refrigerate. Add whatever you want for meals later on (tomatoes, feta, sunflower seeds, zuchinni, etc).

I don't have my recipe on hand at the moment(I'm not at home), but this one from about.com is pretty close.

Pittsburgh Perogies

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling dough

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 Tablespoon oil

1/2 cup hot water

butter and onions for sauteing

ingredients for filling of your choice (potato & cheese filling recipe below)

PREPARATION:

Pierogi Dough

To prepare the pierogi dough, mix together the flour and salt. Beat together the egg and oil, then add all at once to the flour mixture. Add 1/2 cup of very hot water and work until the dough loses most of its stickiness (about 5-7 minutes). You can use a food processor of dough hook for this, but be careful not to overbeat. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight; the dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Prepare the Pierogies

Roll the pierogi dough on a floured board or countertop until 1/8" thick. Cut circles of dough (2" for small pierogies and 3" or 3 1/2" for large pierogies) with a cookie cutter or drinking glass. Place a small ball of filling (about a tablespoon) on each dough round and fold the dough over, forming a semi-circle. Press the edges together with the tines of a fork.

Boil the perogies a few at a time in a large pot of water. They are done when they float to the top (about 8-10 minutes). Rinse in cool water and let dry.

Saute chopped onions in butter in a large pan until onions are soft. Then add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy.

Homemade Pierogi Tips:

If you are having a hard time getting the edges to stick together, you may have too much flour in the dough. Add a little water to help get a good seal.

If you don't want to cook all of the pierogies right away, you can refrigerate them (uncooked) for several days or freeze them for up to several months.

You can fill pierogies with pretty much anything you want, though potato and cheese is the most common (recipe below). Another variation adds sauerkraut to the potato filling.

Potato, Cheese & Onion Filling: Peel and boil 5 lbs of potatoes until soft. Red potatoes are especially good for this. While the potatoes are boiling, finely chop 1 large onion and saute in butter until soft and translucent. Mash the potatoes with the sauted onions and 8oz of grated cheddar cheese, adding salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some fresh parsley, bacon bits, or other enhancements if you desire. Let the potato mixture cool and then form into 1" balls

It's great to do this in "production mode"- ie, get a couple friends to join you and spend an afternoon making as many as you can, everyone takes home a share to cook and/or freeze. The kitchen's going to be a mess anyways, whether you make one dozen or 10 dozen, so might as well get more eats out of the deal.

These are also a dirt-cheap, stick-to-your ribs meal. :tup:

I like making homemade peroghi's, stuffed with a little potato, cheese, and onion. They freeze well, too, so you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor for a long time to come.

Do you have a recipe you prefer?

I want to try making some momo's this winter. But thats more of a dumpling than pasta.

Nice! Dumplings don't get the press they deserve; I'm afraid they're becoming extinct from our food lexicon. My theory for their disappearance is that because they aren't sold as a processed food--you actually have to make them yourself--people don't consider them as an option. Supermarkets sell everything from biscuits to bagels in almost any form imaginable:, frozen dough, oven-ready frozen, refrigerated, boxed, ready-to-eat, you name it. But where is the dumpling aisle?

It took less then five minutes to make a batch of herbed dumplings last week; I spooned the batter into a simmering pot of homemade cream of celery soup, and let the steam and soup cook them to a moist, fluffy perfection. Folks don't know what they're missing. :noway:

Hey Sherri,

Thanks for posting your perogie recipe, I will have to make some sometime. I like perogies, but haven't had them since I have been here in Rwanda.

Also I agree you never really see dumplings in soups that often. I make my own as well, they make a soup a meal.