Rocky Butte Dash For Trash

stonewomann

Rocky Butte Dash For Trash

Hey folks- We're attempting to clean up the Butte! If you've ever climbed there, you know it needs our love! Bring gardening gloves if you got them and dress appropriately. Saturday October 6th 9:30am-12:30ish. Contact kellie_rice@beaverton.k12.or.us with any questions. Hope to see you there!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't rain. In fact it was near awesome. There were about 18-23 folks there today, and unlike last year where I felt young (I'm 53 next month), these all looked like real climbers :lmao: (pretty much thin, young and hardbodied, with moi as an exception to that).

Kellie did a great job of co-ordinating everything and as usual represented well for the access fund, Keith Dellenbach was there too, and a gentle reminder not to climb at Madrone till it opens was re-stated.

The highlight was not the needles Darren from ClimbMax and his buddie Josh (?) nabbed, nor the usual condoms and flish-flash trash like the top of a coin operated washing machine Geoff and Kyle nabbed, nor the money Dan Forrester handed me for some gear I'd sold him (I'd already forgot about it :o ). No, the highlight of the day was standing back with the bros and seeing the place relatively clean afterwards!

ClimbMax did a barbeque on top afterwards, and I put out there that a great combo for me (as they are having their big sale next week at their gear store) would be if next year they combined the cleanup, with the barbeque AT THEIR STORE AND A SALE AT THE SAME TIME! . It would be easier logistically for them, not just that Kirsten and lil Kenny can stay dry, but that old F*s (like me) can Stay WARM. Lots of folks like myself tend not to be in town on weekend days: but will often give up a day out for a cleanup, although we won't stay in town for just a sale, even when the store so richly deserves my support like they do. Combing the 2 may make more sales for them, their life easier, and the trash pickup crew could stay warmer. Last year it started raining just as the barbeque started. If that happened in the ClimbMax parking lot, well, they have a covered porch, and all that gear inside to go look at (drool) and buy. :grin:

Maybe if they need it, we can help them pull this off logistically next year.

So a good time it was - thanks to everybody. :wave:

Thanks everyone for coming out. As we finished up with the raffle, about 5 kids from Reed College showed up. Bless their hearts. They brought their own trash bags, too. We sent them back down the trail to where they parked, and we welcomed them to pick up any more trash they found to add to the 45 + bags of crap!! Aside from the 3 needles that were found, there was a small TV that Keith Daellenbach found, then there was a lawnmower, and I heard Knottygirl found a tire. No cars or shopping carts this time.

We did find 2 homeless camps near the concrete barrier next to the freeway. I called ODOT this morning to let them know about it. The Multnomah Co Sherriff did come out and said they would wait with us there while we broke them down. None of us had the hearts to do that so we decided to leave it to ODOT.

Thanks to all that came out and got a little dirty. Lots of smiling faces. Thanks to Climb Max again for all of their support! They've been great! Go to their sale this coming Saturday!! A few Tualitin REI employees made it out there, too!

Kellie

Access Fund RC- Oregon

Thanks to everyone that came out and helped clean up Rocky Butte! As dirty as it may be, it is a treasure. I'm glad to hear that this event made it into the REI newsletter. One helper that showed up wasn't even a climber! She has lived near Rocky Butte for 18 years and enjoys biking it. Maybe next year we can get the residents of Rocky Butte involved. Thanks again for all your hard work! Hope to see you all at Reel Rock on Thursday or the

big PARTY(sale) on Saturday!