Weep for the McMansions....

JayB

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about older houses that are poorly insulated and equipped with extremely inefficient appliances?

Seems like total consumption would determine who has the highest eco-virtue, not necessarily the size of the home.

Yes, this is far more logical. Although I am not that big of an eco-anything, I have, over the years, replaced all of my old appliances with energy star stuff (and enjoyed the tax credit by the way!). I just happen to not bother with things I don't use--I don't have a microwave, toaster, or any of that useless shite.

I am having the last set of windows replaced this year (that is some expensive shit to do!). And, I keep my gas heat at 58 during the winter. None of this is for the eco-halo, but it is just another way to save money so I can buy other CRAP that I do like having.

I would like to get a boat. Wouldn't that be fun? Especially on a day like today...

Back in what day?

My house is right around 3400 sq ft and it is a hundred years old. Why is it suddenly a "mansion".

If it was definitely a mansion in its day! The average sq ft of the American house has doubled compared to 1950.

HouseSquareFootChange.gif

Wow, I'd be mistress of the mansion back in the day...

Back in what day?

My house is right around 3400 sq ft and it is a hundred years old. Why is it suddenly a "mansion".

If it was definitely a mansion in its day! The average sq ft of the American house has doubled compared to 1950.

HouseSquareFootChange.gif

YES BUT BILL CLINTON WANTED TO HELP US CROSS THAT BRIDGE INTO THE 21ST CENTURY! ARE YOU SAYING YOU NOW FAVOR BOB DOLE'S APPROACH OF BACK TO THE FUTURE??!! WTF, OLYCLIMBER!!!

And for everyone else out there ready to tell me I should live in a 600 sq ft studio--fuck you. One of the many things I like about living in America is I can live wherever the fuck I want. Just so happens, I chose to live in the best thing in the best place I can afford (all subject to my own opinions and tastes obviously).

Nobody ever said you couldn't do whatever you wanted with your money, so fuck you for expecting everyone to pay for your luxury.

Pay for my luxury? I pay my fair share of taxes as well as donate 10% of my income every year. And I put away the max amount for my retirement, so fuck all that Social Security bullshit. I am one of those people who doesn't believe your little snotly and bratly are ever going to be capable of supporting me no matter what lifestyle I live.

So if you think you are supporting me, you better make a lot of fucking money.

Pay for my luxury? I pay my fair share of taxes as well as donate 10% of my income every year. And I put away the max amount for my retirement, so fuck all that Social Security bullshit. I am one of those people who doesn't believe your little snotly and bratly are ever going to be capable of supporting me no matter what lifestyle I live.

reading comprehension darling, reading comprehension. We were discussing the tax breaks for home ownership and whether that should be encouraged in America.

I, I, am a carbuncle on the buttocks of society.

I think he means "pay for it" as per damage to the environment/carbon foot print, etc.

I don't think hot carl has any bratly or snotly's (that he knows of). :-O

reading comprehension darling, reading comprehension. We were discussing the tax breaks for home ownership and whether that should be encouraged in America.

I, I, am a carbuncle on the buttocks of society.

Go back and read your own quote. You said to stop expecting others to pay for my luxury. No big words there. Easy to understand. The implication is that my ability to live in my home is due to other taxpayers graciously paying my way and "subsidizing" my lifestyle through my mortgage interest write-offs.

Don't back up from what you've written. It makes you look like a pussy (even your weak attempt at condescension doesn't cover that)

Go back and read your own quote. You said to stop expecting others to pay for my luxury. No big words there. Easy to understand. The implication is that my ability to live in my home is due to other taxpayers graciously paying my way.

Don't back up from what you've written. It makes you look like a pussy (even your weak attempt at condescension doesn't cover that)

Yes, you receiving tax breaks to live in your mansion requires others who do not live in mansions and receive said tax breaks to pay more.

I'm not sure how that makes me look like a "pussy" - am I emitting some discharge now?

Yes, you receiving tax breaks to live in your mansion requires others who do not live in mansions and receive said tax breaks to pay more.

I stand corrected. He did mean $$

carbon footprint and energy use are heavily subsized in the US so they are all connected

Absurd.

First of all, my loan for my home is pretty small--and that is what the tax break is based on

NOT THE SIZE OF MY HOME.

This can't possibly be that hard to understand, is it?

But no matter, the amount written off the interest of the loan (remember that is all that is written off, not the amount of the loan) is small enough not to have much impact compared to many, many other tax "loops" and unfair taxation (as listed above).

Yes, you receiving tax breaks to live in your mansion requires others who do not live in mansions and receive said tax breaks to pay more

That would only be true if the government were providing some sort of collective service in return for taxes paid. Fortunately, 90% of our taxes are tossed into a shithole and set afire.

Here's a sad little lesson for you - if they raise my taxes, they ain't gonna lower yours. So, the mortgage deduction ain't costing you shit.

I stand corrected. He did mean $$

carbon footprint and energy use are heavily subsized in the US so they are all connected

Agreed.

And I certainly pay my taxes. But my taxes are not based on my consumption; they are based on my income. Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me. Why should I be penalized for what I make? Wouldn't it be smarter to encourage people to make more money? And then only tax them on their consumption? Especially on the consumption of things that you wish to discourage (like ciggies and twinkies)? Why is the size of a home becoming a valid focal point for tax reform? It seems strange to me.

Yes, you receiving tax breaks to live in your mansion requires others who do not live in mansions and receive said tax breaks to pay more

That would only be true if the government were providing some sort of collective service in return for taxes paid. Fortunately, 90% of our taxes are tossed into a shithole and set afire.

Here's a sad little lesson for you - if they raise my taxes, they ain't gonna lower yours. So, the mortgage deduction ain't costing you shit.

Fuck!

I wish I'd said that.