Help: Dead digital camera

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I ordered my camera on the web. I get a call from some Brooklyner (no surprise) saying that my camera battery will only last 20 minutes and that I really should by an 'extended' battery. Then he let's it slip that the camera is refurbished. CANCEL ORDER. They guy says Bye in about a millisecond and hangs up on me. Fine.

I order again, from a more 'reputable' dealer. Same fucking treatment. I get a call two days later, this time the guy (same accent) tells me that I've purchased the 'wholesale version' with a shorter battery life (bullshit) and when I say 'that's fine', (you can get replacement batteries for $12, a bit lower than the $59 he was offering) he then tries to upsell me to the 'English version', because the version I've purchased is in Japanese...for an additional $50. CANCEL ORDER. This time, the guy says, "OK, if you're that cheap," before hanGing (hard G) up.

I've dealt the the notorious jewish camera merchants of Brooklyn before plenty of times, but this was a new low.

Other typical scams from these guys are having you pay for faster shipping when the item is out of stock and the extended one year warranty (which comes with the camera for free).

I finally phone ordered from a third merchant so I could get the verbal runaround out of the way up front. Sure enough, he tried the battery upsell, but I cut him off and let him know that I already had extra everything from a previously dead camera. That worked.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

also watch out for "grey market" goods...items manufactured and perhaps identical to items meant to be sold in the US...but the warranty will have to be honored who whoever sold it to you (not the manufacturer).

another piece of advice: do not submerge your new camera (when you get it) under water for longer than 5 minutes without some sort of waterproof containment system.

also, don't stare at the sun with your eye naked.