Ice screw recos

AllenN

I'm interested in your opinions on what the best ice screws are for cascade glacier ice and why? So many models, so little time to test each of them in the field myself... I suppose if folks have some opinions on the best ice screws for WI that would be of interest to some as well, but I'm specifically looking for opinions on the former.

Thanks all.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

USSR surplus titanium looooong ass screws. They are cheap cheap cheap, light light light, and you don't need anything fancy with the knobs for most glacier travel. ie: you probably wont be hanging by one ice tool trying to place the screw with a waterfall coming down inside your coatsleeve. That's what I use for sloggin on the volcanoes.

they also look good for posing around the camp muir hut. i like to rack about 10 of em on my bigwall gearsling and kick back in front of the outhouses where all the arriving climbers can gape at me, Heh heh heh.

[ 06-03-2002, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Bronco ]

quote:

Originally posted by AllenN:

I *can't* believe that only one person has an opinion (but no -why- to that opinion) on this topic...

-Allen

I believe we all have an opinion one way or the other.

My opinion is that you are an impatient ass.

If you really wish to know what screw works best

in "Cascades glacier ice" find out for yourself.

Test the limits of your gear for yourself and make up your own mind about what you bother to protect yourself with.

And don't worry about what I use.

Smoker